Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, January 30, 2010

For Shame #4: No Real Progress Yet

I'll leave the concept explanation and go straight to the chase on this one. Four installments in, I think we can dispense with the formalities! If anybody needs a refresher, click on the 'shame' label in the footer and they'll all come up.

Um...plus probably some other stuff will come up too, which I'd guess you can sort of skip, or just not scroll down to. Not sure what else gets the 'shame' label. Hm. Maybe I should take a look, just to be on the safe side. I don't want to call attention to my own shame.

OK! Groceries! My most recent quick trip to the grocery store. Let's See What Have We Here:

Milk. Needed some milk.

Canned pears. Because the fresh fruit I bought up to cut up to go with the plain-flavor yogurt I have in the fridge, I got lazy on it and just ate it as hand fruit. I love hand fruit! Peaches and apples. But then I found myself left with this plain yogurt. I have to be in a particular mood for plain yogurt. So now, I have a choice of moods: plain yogurt, or pears. With some plain yogurt on.

Heinz beans. I love these. I don't love the other kind. These are the kind I love:
Heinz Beans
You never see them in stores. You always see tons of the other brands and kinds, lesser beans all. These are the ones you want. Best beans. Good with bangers, or breakfast, or franks, or as a side, or with cookout food right on the laminated paper plate right next to the potato salad - basically, for all your beans needs. Boy howdy! Do I love Heinz beans. When I saw they had them, I got four cans. That'll last me a couple months I'm sure.

I may have to switch to shopping at Johnny's Super. Not only did they have the Heinz, that checkout guy had such a sweet shuffle and touch with the bagging that it looked like a speed-juggling trick! He was expert. Packed up my stuff, plus a big paper towels I snagged, all snug in a double-bagged grocery sack, lickety-fast and handing it to me with a smile! His name's Roger, I think? The guy after me mentioned it: "How you doing, Roger."

I think it was Roger. But maybe the guy behind me was ex-Air Force, and a little confused. Because if that's the case, he should have said, "How you doing, over." And then when Over replied "Oh, I'm fine" he could be like, "Roger that!" But only as a response. You can't go around Rogering people on something you yourself said! Unless of course, Roger is in fact their name.

Which is still my primary assumption, all digressions aside.

8 comments:

limom said...

10-4!

dogimo said...

Wilco that, good buddy!

Dang, now I have to figure out how to ten four.

Anonymous said...

Heinz Baked Beans - there are no others. They are THE ONE AND ONLY MESSIAH OF BEANS.

Growing up in the UK, I grew up with Heinz baked beans. Show me a Brit who didn't. Now we have the wonderful Canadian alternative - Heinz Baked Beans with a hint of Maple Syrup. And they might be the best foodstuff ever invented. I'm not kidding here. They really might. Those with a little melted cheese on some toast? Heaven.

dogimo said...

Aw, jeez. AW, JEEZ!! That's a U.S. company, dah-gammit! Whycome for they to be keeping their best goods from off of our shelves? What's with the commonwealth-market favoritism?

It's enough to mess my grammar all up and stuff.

blue said...

Thank you to the Veg Assassin. I was thinking, I see the Heinz Baked Beans all the time, but they're not coming up in my mental picture of the baked beans section! Where I have knelt for a while, trying to find a can of baked beans I might like, perusing onion, maple, bacon added and weird new flavor combination baked beans. Now I know immediately! The international foods aisle, of course! Where I get my Flahavan's porridge oats, Jacob's Crackers, clotted cream and several other et ceteras. And that's just in the UK section! I love the international foods aisle.

I guess I should try Heinz Baked Beans. I'm not really a baked beans fan, in spite of my attempts. I usually end up adding a lot of mustard and onion and whatever else I can think of to them, I suppose to change the taste, which I find sweet and bland.

dogimo said...

I guess my markets don't have international aisles. The last time I found Heinz beans (in the above post), it was a display right kitty-corner to the checkout! The previous time, it was a similar display in a Long's Drugs.

It's some weird, targeted marketing/placement campaign. They're after my demographic, but they can't see to nail down where to reach me.

blue said...

No international food aisle! Where do you buy your Polish beer-flavored soda?

dogimo said...

Buckler N.A. is available in all our finer liquor stores!

Product of Holland.

The other market I go to definitely has an international food aisle, though - I will check there next time I'm in.