Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hiyah.

No - Wait, sorry: I mean: "HIIIIIIII-YAH!!!"

I like to throw a lot of forearms around. A nice forearm smash? Yeah. Solid. I like that solidity. And jabs. A peppering of straight jabs, and then throw in a forearm smash. I manage the arc swing so if I miss hitting it dead-on, if the majority gets dodged and the contact only occurs in the outer periphery of the arc - well, that just means that what happens instead is a brutal elbow strike. Which if anything, is more devastating! But I don't focus on that, or try for that, because number one - too easy to score a clean miss, and number two - well.

It isn't as satisfying. It just isn't as satisfying. The elbow strike is savage, elegant even, and it's got a certain crack-thwack appeal! That's all true, but it lacks that solidity. It's like you're using a baseball bat! It lacks that personable, agreeable "hello-mass,-meet-force!" feel, of just mashing your whole forearm across the target, high-impact, with your whole shoulder in the swing. You're involving your whole body on that one! It just means more. So yeah. Jabs, straight jabs that is, and forearm smashes.

It's an odd combination at first, and can raise some questions, but people get used to it pretty quick and then it's business as usual. "Oh, he's just like that - that's just what he does. Don't let it bother you."

Throw a front-snap kick in there, if it gets boring.

5 comments:

Mel said...

Can "HIIIIIIII-YAH!!!" please be a label? Then you might use it again in a post. Which would pretty much be the most awesome thing ever.

Mel said...

PS.

Just in ...

Don't try this at home ...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26648861-3102,00.html

Injured man tried to karate chop moving train

A 33-YEAR-OLD man has come off second best after trying to karate chop a moving train at Eagle Junction station last night.

A Queensland Rail spokesperson said the man failed to jump onto the moving train about 8.10pm, injuring his head and falling back onto the platform.

But police said the man tried to karate chop the train and his leg fell between the train and the platform.

He was transported to hospital in a stable condition with a laceration to his leg.

Police are investigating the incident.

dogimo said...

I love the turn of phrase, "come off second best." I've always loved that turn of phrase. It gives me such a nice opportunity to be gracious in an "I've won, and you've lost" situation.

I tell you though, Mel, the first time a train shows up in MY home, I will try that at home. And I will not come off second best!

Reminds me of a song:

"Who built these train tracks through my house - or were they always here? / and why have I only noticed them now - as you play engineer!"

Hm.

Labels.

Mel, I am dying on these labels. They cut me off at 2,207. Then they reinstated me and said - 5,000 is the new ceiling - and NO HIGHER. And that was only two months ago, and I'm already closing in on 3,000. I'd love to put "hi-yah" in as a label, but the part of me that knows I need to tighten my belt for the greater good of all labels, and for the good of the utility of the label function itself, knows I have to call a halt to adding new labels where there's already a good "category" fit.

As much as it pains me (and I did consider a "hi-yah" label), "Hi-yah" has got to subordinate itself under "yelling."

It could also go under "exclamations." But that's not a label yet.

I need to do some real housecleaning on these labels. Where redundancies exist amongst the more soberly functional ones, consolidate. Then I'd see if that frees up a little more room for the real "value added" quirkers.

Mel said...

Dogimo said ,“but the part of me that knows I need to tighten my belt for the greater good of all labels, and for the good of the utility of the label function …”

So, then it’s like a utility belt? Cool!

:-)

Nah, serious, you gave me “smartassery” which I am forever grateful for, "HIIIIIIII-YAH!!!" would have been asking too much. I am content. I appreciate your dilemma. It’s cool. We’re cool.

I'm in awe of this dude though. Trying a "hi-yah!" at a train. Legend. I think I'll send him chocolates and flowers (or chocolates and salad, depending on how my accent comes across!)

dogimo said...

"Smartassery" is about where they cut me off. I think "smartassery" is what got me in trouble! As opposed to real life, where smartassery is what gets me out of trouble.

I'm telling you, chocolates and salad is a mixed message, potentially.