Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Yesterday Was Pretty Sweet

Not that I did anything major. That's what made it so sweet!

I tell you, I'm not the sort of person who has any trouble sleeping. Normally I'm fine with anywhere between 5 and 16 hours of sleep per day, and I just go to bed when I'm tired - I'm not going to sleep if I'm not tired! And then I wake up when I have to go in for work. If I wake up early, I go in early!

But sometimes, my sleep cycle will get all messed up, like with this flu. Man, when I'm down for the count with something nasty, I will sleep ALL DAY, to the extent that I can pull it off! My goal is to sleep right through that nasty sick funk. My little me-ules don't need my conscious mind directing the battle efforts! They know what they doing.

But the thing is, all that clock-disregarding sleeping straight through to the point where you have to get up and groggy around a bit before you can sleep again - when you finally do get well, your body is like on Pluto time. I spent the next week and a half trying to get back on Earth time, let alone California time!

Yesterday was the last of the trouble. I woke up at seven, and groaned in complaint. I didn't want to be up at seven! I could see out the window - more gray and rain, after a week of the same. Why was I up? I could sleep in. It was Saturday! I could get 8 or ten hours if I wanted! Recharge the batteries, pay back the 'sleep debt' after a week of fives! I didn't need to settle for that five hours. But one reason I never really have trouble with sleep is, I don't really stress over it or try to force it - eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired I always say!

So I was about to get up and go do something constructive, since I was awake anyway, when suddenly I said screw it. IT'S FUCKING SATURDAY. No FIVE HOUR BULL-SHIT! And so I did something I haven't in years: put on Genesis Genesis like I used to, low in the background to lull me to sleep, and tucked myself back in.

I woke up at 10:30am, the sun was shining. I kid you not, after a week of rain - I walked out under towering clouds riven by wide rents of blue, and the sun beaming all down through to warm my grateful face.

Then I took off up the mountain, perchance to see the sea. Places to go, and people to be. Or one person to be, actually, but man I was glad to be feeling like him again! Hate being sick and out of sorts.

Today I woke up just as easy and beautiful as you please, back in harmony with nature and God and all things.

Sleep's important, y'alls! I'm not sure I have any practical advice to offer on that score, but it sure is important.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, I agree on the sleeping the shit out of a cold/flu. Normally I do just that. Sleep and sleep and sleep. But this cold? No. I want to sleep all the time but every time I lie down I can't breathe or my sinuses will make my brain explode so I therefore, have to sit up vertical and not sleep and then I get cranky. Really mega cranky. And turn into a five year old who pouts a lot. Then I am so tired and frustrated I think about crying but really, that would just set my FING sinuses off even harder. So yes. i am sleeping not very much and I hate everything.

dogimo said...

Well THAT fing sucks. I haven't had one like that - but I do remember a few where the bronchial tickle and consequent coughing fits did the trick to keep me awake all night.

For those of us whose whole plan of attack is sleep, these kinds of colds hit where he have no defense.

Hope you feel better soon!