Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Humor: A Minefield of Hypocrisy

So she says she loves fart jokes. Can't stand poo jokes, though. Finds them totally and utterly gross!

Hypocrite.

Might I point out how impossible it can be sometimes to draw some neat, clean line between the two? How frequently the one can shade into the other? You may be trying hard to make a fart joke, only to try a little too hard, and find out to your horror that you've made a poo joke instead! "Only a little one," you protest weakly, apologetically - but too bad, pal. Brown is as brown does. You crossed the so-called line.

We love to stand back, shaking our heads, arms folded, insisting on some bright-line distinction that only really exists by the grace of good luck, and maybe a little careful self-control and dietary judiciousness. Yet we act as though it's a completely black-and-white matter! No shades of gray between delightful off-color humorousness, and unpardonably gross vulgarity. All high and mighty and sanctimonious, we stand and pronounce, sniffing the air with our rose-tinted nose, pronouncing one humor foul and the other sweet.

The whole thing stinks!

6 comments:

blue said...

Gross.

John Dantzer said...

Maybe if you substituted the words #2 for poo, then it wouldn't seem as gross and more funny.

dogimo said...

In terms of poo euphemisms, I've never cared for "#2." I prefer either "a b.m." or "a jobby."

blue said...

B.M. . . .my aunt used to say that, probably still does. I think it's equal parts hilarious and gross. More heavily weighted on the hilarious side when semi-whispered. Jobby I've never heard, which lends it some appeal.

It occurs to me now that I also don't think I've ever heard a fart or poo joke. What exactly does that entail/how would that work? It seems like a vein of humor with little to mine.

I just googled for one and got something about a woman who orders an outhouse, then calls for assistance when it starts to have a bad smell, and is told "of course it stinks, you pooped in there."
See, that's not funny. I don't even understand how that's supposed to be funny. That's like saying a woman got a driveway, called to say there was something on it, and they came and said "that's your car that's parked on it." Except maybe that's just slightly funny, whereas the outhouse one. . .

dogimo said...

I think it's less that you haven't heard them and more that you think they're not funny!

Note: under such "fart jokes/poo jokes" I would also include all scatalogical routines in movies and such. There is of course a semantic distinction between humor and actual bona-fide jokes. Generally it is the topic itself that is looked at as "not funny," and not the specific form in which the humor is presented.

John Dantzer said...

That outhouse joke a good one! I'll have to use it sometime.