Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, February 06, 2010

A New Justification For Returning To Space? Or Just The Same Old One.

So I was sitting in the bar of a local cafe, enjoying that burger they do so well, and some people were talking about space - whether or not we should invade Mars or whatever. Basically, whether we should be spending resources on manned space missions. So one guy there sums it up with:
"Basically, the moon is our bitch. We need to make Mars our bitch, too."
Now, under other circumstances, my ideal comeback to that statement would be to look the dude in the eye and say, "That's all well and good, pal, but we better stop there. Ain't no way we'll ever make Jupiter our bitch."

But for various logistical reasons, I wasn't really able to offer this as a comeback.

6 comments:

limom said...

Especially since Jupiter has like a mass a GAGILLION times that of Earth.
Okay, not really, more like around three hundred.
That's still freakin large!

dogimo said...

Imagine if the planets had been named using the Greek versions! How weird would it be to be talking about the size of Zeus, right now.

limom said...

What's strange is that the constellations are Greek and individual star names I believe Arabic in origin!
Oh and thanks! I just remembered something I was reading the other day. Blog fodder!

blue said...

It would be completely normal. You'd just be saying "imagine if the planets had been named using the Roman versions! How weird would it be to be talking about the size of Jupiter right now?"

dogimo said...

See, I have to disagree with you, Blue - to me your scenario sounds like it would be completely normal!

Oh, ok, ok. You and your plain good sense! I swear, woman, it's like a thing with you.

dogimo said...

@limom - that is strange! I wonder what names the Greeks used to refer to the planets? Maybe at that point, Jupiter was Zeus.