Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Religion In Schools

It's an interesting subject in its own right!

I remember in Grade School, I was taught about religion in school. I was taught about Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Atheism/Agnosticism (and the difference between the two), and even a cursory mention of Zoroastrianism although it seemed to me they were just making that part up. Later I found out: not so.

It was, you might say, a catholic education. Anyway, I've found it served me well. Occasionally something comes up in conversation, and in general it's better to know what you are talking about than otherwise. I think I would not be opposed to children being taught ABOUT religion, even in a public school! So long as they are not taught religion.

However, maybe it's best to not even open that can of writhing, dogmatizing, fractious worms. Next thing you know, some Zoroastrian is jumping up on her (or his) desk, stamping feet and moaning about the way it's being portrayed.

2 comments:

limom said...

We were watching a film called "Little Buddha" the other day starring none other than Keanu Reeves! I have a pretty good imagination, but I had a hard time buying into that.
Oh, we were being taught about, not taught.

dogimo said...

I saw that one! I thought Keanu Reeves did a great job with the role. It really kind of helped me understand Buddhism a little better, to picture Keanu as Siddhartha.

Chris Isaak was kind of wooden. Odd, because I love his later work!