Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, February 14, 2010

St. Valentine's Day

there's never been another I loved like
I've loved you for so long

I know I've never made myself clear enough on this

I was a coward
but nothing could matter to me more than your happiness

and though I've lost myself before, now
I'm ready to accept the risk

if you have ever believed enough that you'd die for it
you'd know that isn't a thing you would want to come out and admit
like St. Valentine
like St. Valentine's Day
like St. Valentine
like St. Valentine's Day

so what they tell you about love is: you must love yourself
above all things
that hasn't made any sense, since I first saw you
I held back
afraid I guess
I guess I paid the price

but now I'm ready to meet with lions
I'm ready to be sacrificed
whatever sacrifice I have to make to declare my love
I know what I know is right, and I'm willing to take what comes
like St. Valentine
like St. Valentine's Day
like St. Valentine
like St. Valentine's Day

my heart is red, papered round in lace, it's an offering: to you
I've never been such a tragic type, until you pierced it right
straight through, like St. Sebastian yeah

so they can call out the guards and the firing squads
and give me the chair
'cause if there's really a heaven I know that you'd have to be there

like St. Valentine
like St. Valentine's Day
like St. Valentine
like St. Valentine's Day

2 comments:

Kalee said...

I don't think the saying means that you should love yourself ABOVE all else... cause that's half the problem in this world is that people are only in things for numero uno.... The point is not to condone insane levels of selfishness and ego... As I believe it, the meaning is that you should learn to love yourself BEFORE you can truely love another... otherwise the other that we are trying to "love" merely becomes an exercise in owning or being owned... lusting after or being lusted for... etc... etc... least that's been my experience

dogimo said...

That's true - before vs. above. I never thought of it like that, but that's the best way to put it!

What I was talking about in that line is a lot of the relationship advice, especially from "experts" out in the media, putting out the stance that says always make sure to put yourself first, never put the other person first.

I think if you make sure first that you DO love yourself, then you don't put everything onto another, and you don't make their love your whole substitute for the fact that you don't love yourself.

Before not above. Thanks, Kalee!