Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Super Positivity #3

This is Super Positivity #3! Click the positivity label for earlier installments!

In the comments queue, leave a little story of a time when you did something for another or for others, or just something right "on principle" when nobody could have called you on it; something that made you happy to have done the right thing, some act of helping someone out when you didn't have to, some moment where you took the opportunity to step up and save the day! In some big or little way.

I'm trying to make this an every-month feature! Because the world needs at least that much positivity, right?

I'm a little late this month. Because frankly, I haven't done jack to warrant clapping myself on the back over anything. Not that that's what the concept is about! No, it's more about, I don't know. I guess just thinking about doing things positive. Or putting yourself in a mindset where positive things are being thought about getting done. I don't know.

I guess maybe I just go back to the well on this one. Pick something from the past. These things don't have to be things we've done only that past month! I can dig back to something I've done in the past.

Man.

I'm sorry. I'm just not feeling it. I guess I need to turn to you folks, on this one! What bitter irony - here I am, trying to provide some kind of venue or platform for positivity, yet I can't even step up to it myself. Here I am, supposedly trying to provide some inspiration - now I'm the one who needs to be inspired! It's not hypocrisy or anything, I'm not a hypocrite, but it's...something. I'm like, a patheticrite.

Some Super Positivity this turned out to be.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Not quite super positivity, but I have made people happy for a moment recently, unintentionally admittedly.

Example A: I decided to continue my dialogue with ticket dude, seeing as it went so well last time.

Me: “Daily to the city thanks.”

Ticket dude: “that’ll be $10.60.”

Me: “Pardon?!”

Ticket dude: “yeah, it’s gone up.”

Me: “Yeah, I didn’t realise it was that much though. Oh, well, just give me a weekly ticket then.”

Ticket dude: “But that’ll be more. Have you thought of getting an electronic swipe card? Sorry, I have to ask, they make me, like when you get petrol and they ask if you want any drinks or snacks.”

Me: “Or ‘do you want fries with that?’. Yeah, no, I don’t like those swipe cards. They cost $5. Seems like a rort.”

Ticket dude: “Yes, but you can get your money back. You just need to fill in a form and make a phone call, then they send you a cheque in the mail which you put on the fridge for 3 years.”

Me: “And give them your first born child?…”

Ticket dude: “Exactly.”

I do feel I am progressing my friendship with ticket dude.

Example 2: A female prisoner called me at work, and I’d never spoken to her before, so I asked her full name, which was Rebecca XXX. So I said, “Hi Bec, how can I help?…”. Well, she was so grateful, she said “wow!, thanks so much for calling me Bec, that’s so friendly, no one is ever nice to me here.”

Such a simple thing made such a difference to her. I didn’t have the heart to tell her I do that with everyone, and particularly with Rebeccas because that’s my sister’s name.

Example 3: I went into Subway to get my lunch, and I happened to be wearing my Died Pretty shirt. The guy at the cash register saw it and gave me the biggest smile and said he remembered talking to me about the band last time I was in. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me he recalled, as I rarely wear the shirt and I would remember such a conversation, but I just smiled and said, “yeah, great band, not many people remember them.” He was clearly having a good time thinking about the music.

These aren’t really acts of super-positivity by me, I didn’t have to do anything. But it sure made some people happy! So, maybe unintentional-positivity.

Jen said...

Remember, "Your worst humiliation is only someone else's momentary entertainment."