Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, February 11, 2010

That's One Swell Jib You're Sporting, There

One time I told a girl I liked the cut of her jib. We got into a discussion of what exactly was a jib, and we both agreed it was a type of sail on a sailing ship, but I was saying it was fore and she thought it might be ass. I mean, aft.

But that's what she was getting at, I think. I think she was trying to get me to have complimented her on her ass. She felt that if the jib corresponded to a rearward sail, then it would have to signify ass.

I couldn't really picture it with that particular compliment. It's kind of an established saying! Something a 1950's business-suit guy might say about a young up-and-comer in the office. It can't possibly be code for ass. "That Johnson kid, he's a bit wet behind the ears maybe, but he knows his numbers - and he's got one heck of a cute patootie to boot!"

See, that just doesn't work.

I told her she was in possession of a damn fine jib, a booming jib, a splendid jib, and that she was free to take it any way she wanted it. She smiled "Likewise, I'm sure."

I liked that! That's another classy old-movie sentiment. People don't say that anymore.

No comments: