Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pregnant? or Thinking About Getting Someone Pregnant? Sick of Trend-Happy Baby-Namer Sites? Try These Baby Names. Practically Nobody's Using These Baby Names.

A lot of these have the advantage of sounding kind of traditional-sounding, without being (as far as I know) actually traditional. So you won't wake up one day to find that everybody else hopped on the same name tribe trend at the same time as you (all searching the same web pages, most like) and your tyke is now one of 3 Eoins in his class. You're safe with this site as your baby-naming resource! Only like, 20 people tops ever read here, and as far as I know, only one is expecting.

Baby names away!

For a Boy (meanings for each name in "quotes"):

1. Gwennar ("far-seeing")
2. Thieb ("works with what he has")
3. Ristopher ("deadly with two blades")
4. Jickard ("surprisingly intelligent")
5. Karvald ("hard-walking stranger")
6. Gilbob ("servant of bob")
7. Rghn'chn ("dreaming of awaking")
8. Demogorgon ("prince of lies")

For a Girl (ditto, meanings in "quotes"):

1. Lyralha ("luck from the wind")
2. Owena ("water-gatherer")
3. Jaspette ("finder of lost stars")
4. Aesthae ("broken by faith in fate")
5. Jennifer (meaning unknown, possibly made-up)
6. Charltholomew ("filler of fine barrels")
7. Raeselle ("woman of two minds")
8. Berticia (female equivalent of Bert. You can do this with a lot of other boy names using the ol' +icia, no need for me to spell that one out. Johnnyicia. Christophericia.)

So as you can see, apart from that last one, there are no formulas. Just pick one you like and run with it. It could be one from these lists, or from some other list. Or you could try a random name generator of some kind, and end up with a kid named IJNID or ELPO.

Once you have the name picked out, you may not yet be home free. If you're having trouble getting pregnant, keep trying. I find one thing that helps is, if both of you focus on the baby's name that you're "trying for", and then when the right time comes, yell that out. Yell out the baby-name. It just sort of reinforces your shared openness, to bringing that new life into the world. Plus, it's kind of a fairness issue for the prospective kid. I know a lot of kids who, if their parents had been shouting out the name they were going to end up getting saddled with at the crucial moment, that kid would have been like, "uh...maybe I'll try for a spot over in Indonesia, instead."

Note: dudes. If you're going to go for the baby-calling strategy, make sure you've made it plain with your partner beforehand that that is what you're doing. It's not going to serve as a plausible after-the-fact excuse. "Who the hell is Lyralha?"

11 comments:

Sarah said...

All girl babies should be named Cuervo. All boy babies should be named Kudd.

dogimo said...

Those are good too! Except, shouldn't it be Cuerva?

Jen said...

I laughed so hard at this post. I loved the meanings of the names, and I love it that Jennifer is made-up. I chose Jen as my handle and not some more creative handle because - well, because I'm not creative about stuff like that. But besides that, there are so many Jens of my Jeneration out there, that it's practically anonymous. Which is what you want on the Internet.

dogimo said...

You just blew my mind, Jen! You mean "Jen" really is made-up?

You don't have to answer that! I respect your anonymity.

Caz said...

Oh come on, who do you think you're kidding?

This has nothing to do with dumb baby names, this is all about setting a record for the longest blog post title.

dogimo said...

I think I had a longer one, once, because when I tried to edit it it wouldn't let me fix it. It was too long. Even though fixing the typo made it a little shorter! But it wouldn't let me edit it.

I ended up having to re-post it from scratch, essentially, without the typo in the title. But that might have just been some glitch.

Still, I think I've got one that's longer! Someplace.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's so funny! I just checked out some books on baby names (I am NOT, repeat NOT, having a baby anytime soon!) because I might get a dog in the near future. I tend to like the weird names. Not because "this is a weird name, so I will like it", but "I like this name, and it happens to be unusual." Big difference. :)

dogimo said...

Well, feel free to use any of these names for your dog!

The next pet I get, I'm going to name him Reynolds. I feel like that will add a certain businesslike tone to the relationship. Like I'm his boss, who calls him by his last name.

"Reynolds! Get in here."

"Good job, Reynolds."

"Reynolds, did you s*** on your desk?"

Well okay, that last one is taking things too far, a pet should not have a desk.

Unknown said...

totally naming my kid owena. or ristopher. who needs those pesky extra consonants? NOT I!

dogimo said...

Not I indeed! The name industry is constantly trying to sell us on these needless extra consonants, and it's the poor kid who pays for it, their whole life.

I love how you've turned the tables on them, whittled your moniker down to one slim initial. Very nice.

Caz said...

And think of all the ink that will be saved!

Humanity might, just might have a chance at survival!