Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Relationship Is A Two-Way Street

Well, isn't it? Help me out here, they say: a relationship is a two-way street.

Right?

So I've heard.

But see, I don't understand how that can possibly work. It's supposed to be, each of you has to go - it has to go both ways, right! Right? Hence the two-way street. But as soon as you get past this pretty superficial level, it's a horrible, bad, horrific dynamic to apply to a relationship. Come on! She's coming your way, you're coming hers, but if either of you ever tries to come a little over, over to the other's side - it's death. Head-on collision.

I think a relationship should be more like a divided highway. That just seems a lot safer.

11 comments:

dogimo said...

You could both be going the same way.

It could work.

Mel said...

Works for me. I'm a long-time follower of the Tom Cochrane Philosophy Of Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3sMjm9Eloo

dogimo said...

Roll to rock!

This I know.

dogimo said...

Actually, I think I got that lyric wrong. Dang!

I liked that lyric.

dogimo said...

I mean, not like it was anything deep. It was just kind of, "yeah! Gotta roll to rock."

On the highway! You gotta roll to rock on the highway.

Only apparently, you don't.

Mel said...

Don't stress it Joe, just tell 'em we're survivors.

Sarah said...

That's kind of a scary realization.

dogimo said...

Isn't it? What were they thinking, with that metaphor!

jill said...

Maybe the head on collision only hurts if you're going too fast...

(kidding)

Maybe we are destined to go our separate ways, either by chance or death; and, while it might be fun to head toward each other, that moment when we are the closest together is only a fleeting moment in the grand scheme of things before we continue on our path, moving further and further away from each other.

(mostly kidding again)

Jen said...

Have you ever heard of the book Methaphors We Live By, by a man whose name has slipped my mind? I remember now. George Lakoff. Now I'm not sure I remember the title right. But I think I did.

Anyway, Lakoff lists cultural metaphors that are so pervasive that they spawn dozens of smaller metaphors. E.g. "time is money." We spend time, waste it, lose it, save it, etc. We really think of it as a moneylike substance.

The reason I mention it, is that another is one is, "Love is travel." "We're not going anywhere, we've parted ways, we're stuck, we're on a journey, goin' my way baby?"

dogimo said...

@jill - you may be kidding, but in the cosmic scheme of things I bet that's dead-on!

@Jen - no, I've never read that one. Interesting, the "love is travel" one - not an actual saying (that I've ever heard), but clearly it does encompass a whole class of other sayings.

@jill - Now I re-read it, I have no idea whether my comment makes sense or means anything. Apologies.