Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Baseball: A Recurring Feature

So I was eating dinner, and there was a baseball game on (I like to eat at the bar, as we've established). I could not believe how rich the game was. Rich with meaning. Like a poem, or some thing you just notice after seeing it for the thousandth time. I sat there, just watching it, and it was incredible how many sharp, spot-on observations I made over the course of only 30 or 40 minutes while I ate dinner!

Less than that, actually, because after a certain point I asked the guy, "Hey, can't we put something else on?" But in that brief time, that baseball game was an amazingly rich source of inspiration to me. I kept writing down little bits, interesting scraps and chunks, to be expanded into perhaps, vignettes or anecdotes later. I've parceled out those little seeds of inspiration into like, 16 posts, to be finalized at a later date. I'll dole 'em out on a staggered schedule. I don't want to spend all my gems in one big splurge!

So Look for it! Right here on Consider Your Ass Kicked!

Your new source for baseball.

It's so funny, how they'll be standing out there in the middle of the field, or the court or whatever, and they'll be standing in one place and the ball will come right down to them! As if called.

Or, who was the first guy to bunt! Some jerk just decides to hold his bat out there, instead of swinging for it! I bet that cleared the benches. "You can't do that!!" Eventually after a big yelling match somebody said, well technically, he did it - he can do it. The game was forever changed!

Or: about how they have to run over and stomp their foot on this...square bag. And then they all act like that's so significant!

So anyway. Watch for far more trenchant, inspirational and in-depth posts about the National Pastime from me in the future. Like I said, probably about 16 of 'em. More, if I watch any more of it!

We'll see how it goes.

Who knew baseball could be such a rich source of primo grist for my insatiable mill? It just goes to show you: never stop learning.

2 comments:

John Dantzer said...

I love baseball!

Were you high when you were watching the game?

dogimo said...

No sir!

I did have some wine with dinner, though. I think I was just in a reflective mood.