Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, May 03, 2010

My Inventions Could Quite Easily Change The World

I was thinking how cool would it be to have a phone that could call back in time. That would be awesome! I bet you could figure out all sorts of uses for something like that. Of course, you couldn't call anybody earlier than Alexander Graham Bell. But you could sure give him a shock!

It would be pretty easy, in theory: you would have one button on the phone that would be the "time" button. It would have the time symbol on it (or the "time sign" - like the "pound sign," you know?). Press the time sign, then enter in the four-digit year, then a 2-digit month and 2-digit date, then four digits for time of day. It could be exactly that precise! Then you press the time sign again, and dial your area code and number as normal.

The only real practical difficulty would be: what symbol do you use for the time sign? I say just pick something graphic and arbitrary. The "power button" symbol of a partial circle cut from below by a vertical line, that doesn't look like anything at all! And look how quick it caught on. Now everybody knows what it means. So for the time sign, how about a triangle, with the infinity symbol inside? That says "time" to me.

So we've pretty much worked out all the practical details. All that remains is to figure out what revolutionary uses to put it to! An invention like this could change everything. Who would I call first?

I don't think I would call any girls. I mean like, previous girl-friends? I don't think that's going to translate into any advantage for me, really. What am I going to say?

I wouldn't want to call my past self, either. Too risky! I mean...I like my life. Whatever I say to my past self could change everything! Could throw the whole thing into jeopardy. I'm not about to risk my own personal space-time continuum satisfaction on some get-rich-retroactively stunt! No sale.

Hm. I need to think harder about this. An invention like this could revolutionize all sorts of things! It just takes a mind creative enough to see the applications.

I could totally prank-call some people! Total prank-call impunity, when you think about it. What are they going to do - trace the call to the future?!? Ha! Fat chance!

Yeah. That'll do for a start. I'm sure more stuff will occur to me later. If it does, I can call myself in the past and tell me now!

Phone's not ringing, though. Hm. Not sure how to interpret that.

No comments: