Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, April 16, 2010

A New Species Has Been Discovered!

It's a germ.

Don't worry! It doesn't infect us or anything, or at least if it does get in there it doesn't cause any symptoms. It's just kind of harmless. Not exactly notable - this germ isn't getting a wikipedia page any time soon, I don't think.

And I wouldn't call it "new" exactly, either! It just hadn't been previously described and officially named in the scientific literature. So some guy took a real close look at it, and pored through all the germ listings I guess, and it wasn't there so he said: "Dibs! I'm naming that one after me."

He wanted his name on a germ.

Well, I'm not going to aid his self-aggrandizing cause by naming and publicizing his damn germ for him here on my blog. As far as I'm concerned, leave that germ alone! It's not bothering you. Let it go its own path, anonymous and unmolested.

I swear. These scientists have nothing better to do. They just don't.

3 comments:

Mel said...

They recently thought they'd found a new species of leech... and the little f**ker has enormous teeth.

http://www.news.com.au/world/new-t-rex-leech-species-puts-the-bite-on-peruvian-girls-nose/story-e6frfkyi-1225854347615

dogimo said...

Um.

The width of a human hair is enormous?

Sorry - slightly wider than the width of a human hair.

Mel said...

Good point... I guess what I meant was, large relative to the rest of its body. Still ... yikes!