Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, May 14, 2010

Fiction Friday Pt. 17: Oh, We're Counting Now?

Fiction Friday again, but guess what! This time, "Fiction" takes a walk on the "FACT" side!! On the backside of the fact-side. Oh yeah, I'm feeling it. Docu-style. Allow me to set the scene.

The time: RIGHT NOW. Actually, by the time this posts for you to read, RIGHT YESTERDAY.

The scene: Thursday afternoon/early evening. An office. Me. Typing at the keyboard.

"Aw, damn it!" he said. That would be me.

"Nothing's happening," he said very low, under his breath. "This Fiction Friday is going to SUCK, unless something happens!"

"A lot of the time, something pretty exciting does happen." He observed, hopefully. "Imagine the drama, if I can capture one of those moments 'on the fly'!"

Wait a second. He thought, in ternally. I don't need to audibilize everything. I can just think. But isn't that kind of stagey? Like narration? No, because it's literary. This is just kind of an "author omniscient" setup. I know what's going on inside the characters' heads, because I'm omniscient. I'm the author!

Man...I'd love it if someone would come into my office for a minute - I'd love to try that out. Omniscience. Sweet! I could know what's in their head.

I guess I could just sort of "write it that way." Make it happen how it would happen, in that scenario. But that would kind of breach the factual mode I've got going. What I really need is for something to actually happen.

When SUDDENLY -

oh shit gotta go sorry!

(work)

No comments: