Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, May 20, 2010

I'm Not Fluffing My Meat Anymore!

Yeah, for a while there, I'd tuck and fold over the ham or whatever lunchmeat it was. So it would make a pile, with a lot of air pockets and springyness.

I have no idea why I was doing that. I feel like I was seeing it done that way for sandwiches in tv ads. Total waste of time and effort with zero flavor/texture payoff, at least as far as this sandwich aficionado's palate goes!

But I'm willing to hear other viewpoints. Anybody out there still fluffing their lunchmeat?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

DISAGREE.
It totally changes the texture AND provides better tooth-feel.

Anonymous said...

Never mind that, I totally want an excuse to use the phrase "I'm not fluffing my meat!" today.

And I barely eat meat. Just bacon once in a while.

Heh. Fluffing meat.

Mel said...

Having small hands means I try to keep the sandwich as thin as possible, so fluffing is out. The hot topic really though is cheese tessellation.

http://icolor2.blogspot.com/2007/07/subway-cheese-tessellation.html

There’s even a Facebook group (natch) to force Subway to start tessellating its cheese.

JMH said...

Lack of cheese tessellation disturbs me. The sandwich artist should love his or her art so that tessellation should be a natural instinct.

But Corporate is evidently either ignoring the basic science of the sandwich or not providing sufficient incentives to tessellate.

How about a living wage, fuckers?

dogimo said...

@Sarah P: Hm. I kind of get what you mean. Could you describe it some more?

@Veg: Don't even attempt to fluff the bacon. That road goes to heartbreak.

@Mel, & JMH: actually, I like a little variety in the evenness of the cheese layer. I like the way the non-tessellated approach mixes it up with gaps and double-thick areas of overlap.