Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sandwiches Are Kind of This Thing With Me

Those of you who know me, know I'm into sandwiches. Just click the label 'sandwiches' if you don't believe me - you'll find ample evidence of my sandwich penchant. Me and sandwiches, that's just something about me that people who know me know. The people who really know me, I mean.

People who don't know that about me, well...I hate to say it, but those people don't really know me at all. Maybe they thought they did. Turns out: they didn't. No one's more disappointed than me to hear it, but I guess I should have known.

If you're in that latter category, hey, don't feel too bad. There have been people who have been close to me for years - dear friends, lovers. Even members of my own family! Yet they didn't know that, about me and sandwiches. They never really knew me at all, I guess. Oh, some of them may have suspected something, from the sheer gusto with which I consumed those sandwiches - it would have been impossible to hide, entirely! But though they may have suspected, I don't think some of them ever really knew. I did play it pretty close to the vest. I guess if I'm honest with myself, I was a little insecure about it.

Well no longer. I'm blowing it wide open to the whole wide world, right here on the blog! I don't give a damn who knows: I have kind of a thing for sandwiches.

And now that you know...well. The chips will fall where they may.

4 comments:

Mel said...

In an effort to be a supportive friend I just googled “sandwich addiction”. Now, I’m not saying you’re an addict. That’s not my role. You have to reach that conclusion yourself. No one else can do that for you. Maybe you are, maybe you aren’t. But, if there comes a time when you believe that this is a “problem” and not just a “thing” with you, then this may help. Taken from a health support internet forum, these quotes are from when a person reached out for help in a thread about her sandwich addiction.

But a lot of us DID go cold turkey on bread

Yum!

But if I were you, I would just say that this part of your journey isn't going to involve bread.

See Joe, it’s all about accepting you are on a journey.

The other issue is what are you telling yourself about the sandwiches. What makes them so important to you?

*Contemplative nod in agreement*

For some of us bread/white flour/flour/sugar etc. is like CRACK so just a little every day doesn't work

So true.

Focus on how great you feel when you don't eat simple carbs (with their seductive powers!)....you'll find you won't be missing bread...

And finally, this bit of encouragement. This last comment from the person who had the addiction shows that there is hope for us all.

I had no sandwiches yesterday.

Amazing.

dogimo said...

It seems as though you're focusing in on the bread. What is it about the bread that troubles you?

Mel said...

Wait. Now I’m the one on the couch? :-)

All of those bold quotes were responses from people on a forum when someone reached out for help with her sandwich addiction. I particularly liked the response from someone of “The other issue is what are you telling yourself about the sandwiches. What makes them so important to you?”

That blew my mind. Now I’m questioning ALL my dietary habits. Why am I craving chips? What are these tacos saying to me? Is this Baskin-Robbins Strawberry Cheesecake icecream trying to tell me something? Why does this tikka masala mean more to me right now than life itself?

I’m a big fan of sandwiches as well. And toast. I love me some toast. Just with butter. Or peanut butter. Or raspberry jam. You know, I read somewhere recently that the numbers on the toaster don’t refer to levels of toastiness, but minutes. “Huh!” I thought.

dogimo said...

Huh. Huh, indeed.

Lately I've been enjoying my toast with tart, tangy chyavanprash.

Some spell it with a "w." I use a "v."