Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, May 21, 2010

Sandwiches: The Origin Story

So we've all heard the tale of the invention of the sandwich. How the Duke of Sandwich, big cards player, couldn't be bothered to leave the table, so he's all "MEAT! Between two hunks of bread" and his cohorts were all like, "yeahhh-h-h! I'll have what Sandwich is having" to the point where they all just started calling the damn thing "a Sandwich."

Well, we've all heard that story, but the question is: is it true?

As far as I know, it is true. I mean, I wasn't there, and how could anyone really say at this point? But the story itself has got a lot of mileage on it, and it just keeps rolling, so. I guess you can say it doesn't hurt to suspend our disbelief a bit on this one. Does it? Come on, I mean. Is it really so far-fetched? Must today's "revisionist" skeptical historians debunk EVERY damn myth we cherish?

LEAVE THE SANDWICH ALONE, YOU REVISIONIST BASTARDS!!

No comments: