Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, June 28, 2010

Advice From The Socially Ept #1: Waiting For Reply On That Inadvertantly Weird E-Mail You Sent?

You know how feel when you send an e-mail to somebody, and then you have a crisis of confidence about that e-mail? It's not like you made some huge misstatement that you could easily correct with a quick, "OOPS! wait, here's what I meant!" No, it's more a generalized awkward feeling around the e-mail as a whole. And now you're stuck waiting on the wire for a reply.

Maybe you laid a little too much on the line. Maybe you put yourself out there, a bit more than intended. Maybe you expressed yourself fecklessly. Maybe you used the word "fecklessly," with no real clear idea of what it means. Whatever the reason for the pins and needles, there's only one remedy for that uneasy waiting period that has you wondering how it will all be taken, or whether you'll be waiting forever for a reply because the other person's reaction meter needle got stuck just a bit too far towards what the fuck. There's only one thing you can do to ease the unease while you wait.

And it's easy! Just send like 3 or 4 equally-awkward e-mails to other people (definitely different people, very important!). Somebody's sure to reply on a reasonable timescale, and the more big ol' matzohs you have hanging out there, each takes your mind off the others to some extent.

Most problems are easy, you just have to think the other way.

2 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

And if you don't have a problem, you just make one up:)

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but if I give "true-to-myself comment, I don't give it another thought how I came over.
How the other reacts to it, is their responsibility:):)

dogimo said...

Heck, I'll go you one better! I do mean to sound arrogant.

Oh, I kid. I kid.

I do love the sound of the word, though:

arrogant.