Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Do You Like Beat Poetry!

Do you like beat poetry? Because, let me tell you. Okay, let me set the scene first. See, I was trying my hand at alternative styles of poetry writing. Just to mix it up a bit. I wrote a few goth poems, or perhaps it would be better to say I wrought them. Which is an understatement. But anyway, I did my best on those, the best I could; I'm glad I tried it at least. They're not embarrassing. Humiliating, maybe. Anyway, after I'd mined that vein flat I took a look around to see what I should tackle next. I took a crack at this beat poetry.

Lord.

The results are pretty fine. I have to say, the results are pretty fine.

I suggest if you like beat poetry, you go take a look. I've got a real gem for you. This is the single best beat poem I think I have ever read. Not to knock Ginsberg and Kerouac, obviously they came before - the trailblazers! - and without the broad, sturdy shoulders of those giants to start from, I can humbly say that I would not be standing before you today towering over them. Due props where props are due - that's my plain, fair motto.

But damn, if you like beat poetry - - ! Then you should really check out this little gem I just wrote. Man, I just read it again, twice! My advice for all you creative types? Find something you can take delight in, just for the sheer joy of doing it. That's what I find works.

Technically I'm in the office working today, not writing beat poetry. But you know what? There are sacrifices that must be ready to be made for art. When inspiration knocks, you are required by federal law to answer.

Or similar inherent moral/artistic requirement, tantamount to federal law. I think it's in the Patriot Act, actually.

3 comments:

Mel said...

After you die, word of your demise will spread. Fans, sorry... followers, will console each other, a legend will be created and the man becomes the myth. Then a collection of your works will be published (perhaps entitled An Ass Considerably Kicked). Rumours will spread of the existence of a never before published manuscript, the elusive Goth Poem #3. Many pretenders will step forward, announce they have discovered it, perhaps tucked inside a framed replica Monet their Great Aunt Maud gave them, or perhaps slid into the dustjacket of a Wilbur Smith novel they borrowed from the library. Expert academics will be called to carbon date the parchment, but all will be revealed as charlatans.

Does Goth Poem #3 exist?

We may never know.

dogimo said...

It wasn't really Goth enough. More like Emo.

But come on Mel don't leave me in suspense! How'd you like that BEAT POEM!

...?

You can be fair but critical, it's okay. I can take it.

Mel said...

I thought it was heavy, man.

You are one crazy cat.