Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: I Revised Yesterday's Poem In Subtle Ways!

Please everyone, I want to make sure no one misses this - I totally just revised yesterday's poem! Go take a look. The differences may seem subtle, but that's because they are very subtle. Yet you might be forced to agree - the overall improvement is profound. If you had a look yesterday, have another look again today. Don't give up on it! It's better than it was.

If you didn't happen to have a look yesterday, I can't help you. I don't recall what the original version was, specifically, or what the exact changes were. Like I said. They were subtle.

The poem is called "if doubt" and I think it's pretty good. Maybe a little stilted, maybe a bit formal in the way it's phrased. It's not one of those "Yo Yo Yo! Bitches on a Yacht" type poems that I occasionally toss off and regret thereafter, it's got a little more class to it than that. It's like a love poem in the high old style, and that means maybe just a little bit stilted on the lingo.

I shouldn't have pointed it out, people are going to be all, "what's he talking about? It's not all that stilted." And so it isn't! It's not some ren faire bullshit thee and thoufest. But I didn't say "archaic," I said "stilted." Some of the language is just a bit elevated. As in: on stilts. That's the likely origin of that term, if anyone wants to pass it along to Straight Dope Cecil and use me as an authoritative source.

Oh, sorry about what some might see as me padding this announcement out needlessly. But heck, it's been a little sparse around here lately. So when I get something exciting to announce, I go to town on it!

You know, poetry fans, if you haven't been keeping up with my poetry blog, I think you owe it to yourselves to take a look in on it from time to time. I'm averaging like a poem a day in there, and I'll be honest with you: some of these poems are hard as hell to describe. You might want to judge for yourself. You'll be looking at a poem in there, and it will be so tight, or compact, or epic, or succinct, or some other defining characteristic, and you'll look at it and you'll just go, "that poem's a fucking beast. That poem beats other poems in the FACE."

And I'll appreciate that. I'll think to myself, Thank you for your discernment; thank you for noticing that, about my poem(s). I've worked hard, I've been trying to advance the form. Because I'm sick of people giving poetry a pass! My whole attitude is like: "poetry is vital!! It has something to say to us, here, in the year 2010 and beyond!!" People question me on that point and others, and I just cut to the chase. I say "hey bud, any time you think you're man and/or woman enough, step on down and I will battle you at the POEM SLAM."

I'm just that serious, and I don't lose. When I'm on the mic at the poem slam? Oh yes. People are like, taking notes. I'm putting on a symposium.

Man! I'm really hyping myself up a bit, here. I got the poem juices flowing! My poetry senses are tingling. I might just have to rattle off the first whole week's worth of June's poems in the next 24 hours. Or not. WATCH THAT SPACE Y'ALL!

MUCH LOVE TO ALL MY POETRY LOVERS!

No comments: