Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kind of Quiet Around Here #2: The Crazy Thing Is...!

The crazy thing is, I keep getting good ideas! I'm just not writing them down.

For instance I had a dream two nights ago that I was rushing to meet my ex-girlfriend at a certain place to beat her up, when suddenly it occured to me that I couldn't go through with it. It was all pre-arranged - she needed somebody to beat her up, for this improv thing she was doing. But then as I reached the downtown intersection where she was waiting, I saw her up ahead, waiting, looking a little anxious, a little excited, and just said, man. I can't go through with this! I can't beat her up. For one thing, she had a new haircut and it was really awful. It was way too short! Plus, it was dyed reddish - but she'd kind of teased it up and outwards so you could kind of see through it in parts? To the scalp? You know what I mean.

But the point is, the whole dream was packed chock full of interesting details - it would have made a standout installment of Open Dream Journal. But I didn't write it down! Didn't make a note of it. All those details, gone. What's left is not even worth a post.

Or the band name I came up with! Of course, I probably wouldn't have shared that here regardless. But the point is, I didn't write it down. Now I have no idea what it was.

I also had a couple short and sweet post ideas - just a great little grabber of a post title followed by some choice elaboration, maybe a paragraph or two. What the hell were they?

One of them was about some sort of business or advertising thing. I bet that would have been hilarious!

But I didn't write it down.

And then there's the idea for a computer game I had! You would be a potato plant. Putting out tubers and stuff. Then the people would dig 'em up, and depending on how good a job you did growing yourself, you could end up inspiring them to feats of culinary heights! Or maybe they would just boil you. But when I say "boil you" - that's not wholly accurate, because you'd be the plant, see, out there in the ground - not the potatoes themselves. You'd keep putting out potatoes unstoppably, but you could vary how many or how few, tweak the starch content, etc. Go all-out for abundance, or concentrate the available resources into a smaller number of truly superior tubers! The game would be called TATER MAKER.

Actually, that idea already seems pretty well-developed. There don't seem to be too many details missing on that one. I just made that up now, trying to come up with another good example of something. So that may be why it seems more fully-developed - because I did write it down!

That's the lesson, folks. Got ideas? Write 'em down.

9 comments:

Mel said...

My short term memory is very unreliable, so I’m always writing stuff down. Lots of “to do” lists. Most of the time I have a scrap piece of paper with me and a pen, so as soon as a mind light bulb flashes with “buy this! “ or “do that!” or “what about!” I can immediately jot it down so it won’t get forgotten.

Sometimes I get caught out with no paper though, so I have to use my mobile, there is a “to do” list application on it. But, the trick I have yet to learn is to be specific and provide detail, otherwise I have no idea what the reminder relates to. For instance, the one in my phone at the moment simply reads “no heroics”. A life plan or brand of soap? No idea. But I kinda like having it there nevertheless.

dogimo said...

Hm. A band name perhaps?

No Heroics.

Mel said...

Tattoo?

dogimo said...

What? Wait - just text, you mean? Or like...a big red "DON'T" symbol circle-slicing a leaping caped silhouette?

Mel said...

I like the idea!

The best I could do because I can't draw capes.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5309/tatmq.jpg

dogimo said...

Nice!

You know Mel, drawing on yourself at work is kind of heroic.

But only if you leave it on all day.

Mel said...

Oh sure, I can do that. Looking at it now, it's pretty ingrained!

I’m feeling quite evangelical about it to be honest. Like I’m starting a new social movement.

People of this great planet. No more shall we suffer displays of ostentatious feats of courage. No more shall we be victims of vainglorious overtures by melodramatic crusaders. No more pretentious ponces in pantyhose.

From now on every one just calm the HECK down.

No More Heroics!

dogimo said...

I enjoy the distinction between "heroism" and "heroics." I feel like "heroics" is something you could major in, in college.

dogimo said...

"no heroics"