Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Sunday Theology Post: Sarah Silverman is G_d

She's Jewish, so I'm just being respectful there. The Jews (from of old) do not permit the divine vowels to be inscribed. It was considered either blasphemy (if you wrote one vowel) or sacrilege (if you kept on writing all of them). That's the reason why today we have all this controversy over what the official name of G_d really is. What with the official consonants: YHWH, people have plugged in those gaps with all sorts of kooky variations of vowels, and then claimed: "Oh, this is the real original sacred name that was used."

Some people claim that name was really originally pronounced Y_hw_h, others say no, J_h_v_h. But we don't really know - there are no reliable witnesses!

The people who were there at the time refused to put the vowels down for posterity. So we're stuck with all these guesses. In addition to the more common "Y_hw_h" and "J_h_v_h", some claim the one true name of G_d is really "Yehu", "Yeho," "Leroy", or even "Yahu"! I refuse to omit the vowels on these, because come on. That's just ridiculous. You can't just plug in whatever mad-lib vowels you want and claim hey, that's the one true original holy sacred name of G_d! Forget it buddy!

In theory, if you allow them to do it, you'll have people coming along claiming maybe it ought to be "Yah-hah-way" or "Yoo-wooh!" The line must be drawn. I'm not going to dignify these examples of rank speculative spelling-blasphemy (or sacrilege, actually) by giving them the precautionary courtesy vowel omission. There's a fine line between being properly respectful of the matter-of-fact sacrosanct bonafides, and tacitly endorsing an abomination in the sight of Th_ L_rd.

Anyway, I've gotten quite off the original point of this post! Which, holy heck, deserves some real emphasis:

S_R_H S_LV_RM_N.

Is she some kind of glorified most high Hoo-Wah-Hay or what?

2 comments:

Jen said...

Ha ha ha! You are right! I would not have believed it, if I had not JUST been reading a commentary that said that some scholar thinks that Y_hw_h might be a combination of Yehu or Yeho, plus the verb "to be." (In Hebrew.) Your blog is so educational, or it would be if we were able to tell the facts from the made-up stuff. (Leroy???)

Of course, the whole post is blasphemous. Who's Sarah Silverman? Nevermind, I don't really care.

dogimo said...

Thanks Jen! I like to think of my blog as a starting point for all sorts of trips of self-discovery.

In fact, I often learn a hell of a lot from it myself! I'll re-read something, and then I'll be saying to myself, wait - is ANY of this correct? The facts that I nailed by guess are just as illuminating as the things I thought I knew but got wrong!

That's why I try to do all my research after posting.

Who is Sarah Silverman? Sarah Silverman is a film and television actress; a wonderful comedienne. Sarah Silverman is a babe with more smarts to spare than most people have smarts.