Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

And for dessert? I'll have the burnt custard.

Flan's all...glistening and jiggly. Anyway, it's too soft. Creme brulee is hard. It's got an outer surface of hard caramel glaze that you need a metal implement to crack! Creme brulee has been through the fire.

But underneath that rigid, gleaming facade...the smooth custard. Sweet and cool under the surface. Hey! He's not so tough after all!

If the name weren't so françois it would be considered a real manly dish! Sitting so self-contained in its ramekin. It should be called "Burnt Custard." That would be a dish any man could feel proud to slam down his fist on the table and demand an order of!

"So. Dessert. What'll ya..."

"BURNT CUSTARD!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LIKE creme brulee! Burnt custard or not. I like custard, period. I make the meanest, baddest, sickest, tastiest trifle EVER. And it's full of custard. Not burnt though.

In other news, I quite enjoy rhubarb crumble/cobbler also.

Please deconstruct.

dogimo said...

Veg, when I read this first time through I just laughed and chortled. "Please deconstruct."! Ah, you kill me. Now I'm not sure I'm ready to fulfill to that standard!

But oh yeah, I love creme brulee! My favorite go-to dessert to order out. Although sometimes, they get a little too creative on the flavors they add.

I tell you, I don't know from trifle but everyone's been talking about trifle lately!

I want some trifle.