Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Droppin Gs Left and Right, I'm Droppin Gs

When you're typing out dialogue, there's something kind of artificial and overly precious about sticking an apostrophe on there for the dropped "g" off the end of an "-ing" verb. You're basically tacking an asterisk on, to say "yes, I know that's not how it's spelled. I've substituted an apostrophe, for the 'g' that really should go there. In this way I show that I am more educated than the speaker, whose ignorant dialect I faithfully transcribe."

Well to me that's bullshit. It totally violates the spirit of the dialogue being reported! Putting that apostrophe inside the speaker's quotation marks reflects badly on him. You're putting your fastidiousness in his mouth. It makes what he has to say look like an affectation. When you read it, you say: "This guy here, with all his singin', and his dancin' around the issue, he comes off as a bit of a poser."

I say just leave the apostrophe off. That dude is not saying what he has to say with an apostrophe. He dropped that "g" with complete unconcern and nonchalance. No way is he going to be so fussy as to put something on in its place, to apostrophize (if you will) the absent consonant.

You want to drop a "g," drop a "g." Don't be all dainty about it. Dropping the "g" is not a dainty move.

4 comments:

VEG said...

Agreed. Only I do it all the time. Because I'm a grammar Nazi and it just seems so wrong not to.... You diggin'? :)

dogimo said...

Yup!

Yeah, I do it myself as well, all the time. But then just suddenly it seemed wrong; off.

So I inveighed!

limom said...

I say that anything goes inside the quotations.
I mean it's freakin dialogue.

Mel said...

Aw …don’t be hatin’, Joe.

Well, maybe you’re right though. But I figure it’s okay to think in apostrophes. Recently on the train a lady was having breakfast and I was listening to her conversation and watching her eat. And two things jumped into my head.

Holding that thought
and droppin’ eaves
Overheard words
The impression it leaves


Danish pastry
Lookin’ so tasty
But you can’t be mine
I’ll have to decline.


But I was only thinkin’ the apostrophes. In my head.