Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, July 19, 2010

How To Learn How To Write #2: Priorities, Please!

So you have an idea for something you might want to write, but you're not sure it's going to be worth reading?

What the hell is wrong with you. Don't concern yourself with whether something is worth reading. That's a question you can't answer.

Ask yourself: is it worth writing?

If the answer is "no," then you must not be much of a writer. It ought to be worth it for practice, alone. Write the thing! Oh, if you have something better to write, then of course: write the better thing first. Then go write the other thing.

Then write the next thing. Then write the next thing. Then write the next thing. Practice, as they say, is a m*****fucker.

Don't ever not write a piece that occurs to you, just because you think it might be no good. Write it and see if it's good. It's not a waste of time, unless something better crops up that you could be working on. And if that happens, no problem! Lay the cool project aside, while you work on the hot one. You can always come back to the other one later.

Or maybe you won't have time to - maybe you end up going on a streak from one hot project to the next. That's the entire point! As long as you don't stop writing, as long as you keep working, even on a piece that you think has little potential - the act itself will keep your hand hot, will keep your mind open to inspiration, will keep the creative juices flowing.

There's no such thing as writer's block: just too-fussy writers, too lazy to get their hands dirty on a bad idea. Holding out for the precious idea.

Don't hold out. Work. Work on the best thing you've got going now. Even working on the worst thing you've done is still better than doing no writing at all. Maybe you'll hit a breakthrough! Take a sad piece and make it better! Or maybe you won't. Maybe that piece is just going to turn out bad. It doesn't matter. Once you're done with it, set it aside and move on to the next. You do the best you can each time, and your best gets better. When you can execute a poor idea strongly, you'll be ready when a great idea comes along.

Even if a given piece turns out not to be among your best, you make it as strong as that idea can be. You pour your heart into it anyway, so your heart can grow. Even if you finish the piece and it's no better than you expected it to be, the writing you put into it will make you better.

Is it worth writing?

All writing is worth writing.

12 comments:

Mel said...

I am trying to come around to this way of thinking, but it’s a struggle. I still need to have another reason to write, other than just for myself or just for the sake of it. I have a Word file called “rubbish” where I jot down bits and bobs, but I find I need a purpose, so my little pieces I usually make as presents for my loved ones or at least about them. I would like to be able to just let it flow on to the page with no intent other than just as a creative release but I do ask myself “what’s the point?”… but if you say it’s not a waste of time then I’ll keep persevering Joe!

dogimo said...

But it's not for yourself, darlin'. It's for the love you have for the language. Every gesture and caress counts.

dogimo said...

Which...may be a...needlessly...something way to put it.

Well screw it that's how that sentiment chose to express itself!

Once you've yielded sufficiently unto your love of the language, then you can start blaming it for everything.

JMH said...

Hey Jude!

aflashbackwards said...

I completely agree!

(Except maybe about the writer's block thing, which I'm convinced it does exist... But, anyway: yes, all writing is worth writing!)

dogimo said...

@JMH: yeah I threw a little of that in there didn't I! Total poser, I don't even have that album.

@aflashbackwards: I really do think that for most people, writers block is not about being able to write. It's about holding out for a good idea. I know it's hard to have satisfaction writing forward with something one knows to be a bad idea, but if that's all one has at the moment then you go for it! People don't seem to realize, you forge ahead and break through and once you hit that better-grade inspiration, you can always come back to rewrite the rough parts.

Unknown said...

Excellent advice.

JMH said...

Poser or not, no matter. It's fun to get a reference, and it lessens the skimming-and-dismissing for future posts.

Mel said...

<Every gesture and caress counts>

Especially in haiku, those writers even count god damn syllables. Pedants!

Murr Brewster said...

Mel: do you have a blog? You don't have to tell anybody about it. I started mine just to get a "writer's platform" (bleah) but I discovered the discipline and practice freed me up and made me a much better writer. Not that you can tell by this comment.

dogimo said...

@Eva: thank you! He he, and I'm not even on drugs.

@JMH: I aims to please! And never worry about skimming, most of my posts I just skim myself.

@Mel:

I've seen you do a
haiku or two too, miss! but
haven't we all, though.

@Eva: I should clarify, I just said that because a lot of the time you're all "what are you on??" :-D But I get a kick out of it.

@Murr Brewster: hello Murr Brewster! I love your name. If yours by choice, well-chosen! If by chance, then well-favored indeed.

Mel said...

Hi Murr, yes I did have a blog for a short time. Joe here made me do it. There were pics of me curled up in a laundry basket, falling into a washing machine, and in a chicken costume. It was decidedly dodgy and I blame him :-D