Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Opinionated Dickhead Is Taking Your Requests.

Man. Re: The Previous Post? "The Sports That Matter"?

I have to say, that "straight up opinionated dickhead mode" I hold forth with in that post has got to be the easiest character/voice out of all of the styles in which I write. I can crank out post after post in that mode. I could just go to town on any topic you could name, in that self-same style. Great way to blow off steam, and maybe while I'm at it I can do a little gentle skewering of the moron-level uninformed self-assuredness rampant on the internet (while I'm at it, who are these intellectual cowards with their self-parody taboos? As if one should hold one's self sacred, even in its arguably ridiculous aspects).

But while it's a fun style to write in, and it lets me sound off on all sorts of important issues without really doing any research or work, still I do try to go easy on it. For obvious reasons. It's fun to write, hopefully fun to read as well, but let's face it: even if the post turns out great, it still tends to reflect poorly on me. In some way. Depending on how people want to interpret it.

Still, an idea occurred to me to throw it open to requests, in the comments queue of this post. Anybody want to suggest a topic for me to go to town on, with no research or facts to back me up, just shooting from the hip with the most flip and strident stance I can think of to pull off in the heat of the moment of inspiration?

Note well: I'm asking "suggest a topic." Don't tell me what stance to take on it.

That's my call.

12 comments:

limom said...

Kim Chee:
Great cultural import or worse than onion breath?

limom said...

No opinion on kim chee?
How about the color pink?

dogimo said...

Dude I was giving you a chance to catch up! Comment-wise.

But on the suggestions, I was planning to take 'em and use 'em to make full-on posts, but probably not comment a lot about it right here. More develop it behind the scenes and spring it on ya, full-formed.

Kim chee is something pickled, stinky, and I think Korean! I believe. That's plenty to go on for me! I feel like I must have heard of it, at some point. Anyway, I don't want research to taint the process.

limom said...

I am eagerly awaiting your biased opinions!

Mel said...

I was thinking this morning that maybe the Opinionated Dickhead could critique last month's poems, but then I thought not. He's a bit of an insufferable chump :-D

dogimo said...

Aw heck Mel! That's an already-existing recurring feature.

One I thought I could slip past without doing this month. But I guess I should keep it going. I don't need to do every single one like I did for May. I can just hi-lolight it.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure that's the voice I use on that one anyhow. Well, maybe not quite.

Mel said...

I think Critique Dude is pretty even-handed, I mean, he talks it up when he’s chuffed with his effort, but he’s quick to disrespect as well, if he feels it's required.

I’d like to see the O.D take on Colin Firth, but I may be alone in this… which is okay.

dogimo said...

Well, the stance could just as well end up being a rave, just an opinionated dickheaded rave. He's not negative necessarily.

I love Colin Firth! What's wrong with Colin Firth? Wait, let me google make sure I've got the right guy.

Yeah, he's okay! What's wrong with Colin Firth?

For a minute I thought maybe you meant Colin Farrell. Which I could see. Although - In Bruges redeemed the crap out of himself, as far as I'm concerned.

dogimo said...

I'd probably find it hard to muster up a strong opinion about a person. The more I think about it.

Just not my forte. Not the having, so much as the spouting off about!

Mel said...

Oh, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Colin, he’s all right. I haven’t seen In Bruges – it came on once on a flight I was on and I couldn’t understand a word they were saying – but I will see it one day, because if there’s one thing I know, it’s that if Colin Firth is all right, Ralph Fiennes is all kinds of all right.

PS – I gotta say, sometimes there is nothing I like better than an opinionated dickheaded rave!

dogimo said...

But wait - to clarify, you were originally talking about Firth? Not Farrell?

Mel said...

I was, yip, Firth. We were talking about Chick Lit at lunch today. Bridget Jones came up.