Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, August 09, 2010

I Might Be Kind Of A Racist!

I think I might be a racist. I mean, it seems I am. It seems I might be! I never thought about myself like that, but check the evidence:

Any time I get a comment submitted, and the comment is not written using the characters of the English alphabet, I reject that comment. Out-of-hand! Without even checking to see if I can figure out what it means. True, the few times I have tried to translate such comments, the results have never been far from this example here:

spam comment translated from Chinese:
The adult entire bare
hits the artillery to fire
a pistol hits the airplane

great breast great milk
female superior
big milk sexual
intercourse sexual
affection lascivious
obscene desire promiscuous

immoral woman

obscene younger sister
to call obscene Shui Yin
the female passion sentiment
color to make love obscenely

the limiting stage wave tyrant
fellatio 18 to endure
pastes the chart portrait video
help to hand over
the dew point to explode
the young tide to blow naked
That's kind of poetic, is it not? And that same set of characters, translated from the Japanese and the Korean respectively, yields similar yet interestingly different results:

same spam comment translated from Japanese
same spam comment translated from Korean

But poetic or not, a comment like this left on a post about Godzilla vs. Hurricane Katrina or some equally inapplicable topic, and containing links and links to really suspect, dubious sites - well, that's spam. I call it spam. And for the sake of convenience, I've come to assume any such cryptic, inscrutable submissions are pretty much going to be spam.

But is that fair? Is it fair to tar all of my potential readers from other tongues and alphabets with the same spammy brush? Maybe that's kind of racist on my part.

Oh, I have my justifications. Such as, heck, if these people can't read English then they're not my readers, right? I don't owe them jack in that case! Or, if they can read English, they can clearly see that English is my preferred mode. Yet they choose to submit their comments in a form incomprehensible to me! That's kind of jerky and perverse. That's discourteous at best.

Clearly I'm writing in English. If the submitter can supposedly read what I've written, and if the comment is supposedly for me, then it's bare minimum common courtesy for them to use the alphabet I've already shown is the one I use. How can that comment be for me, if it's being deliberately put into a symbols and glyphs alien to mine own? That comment isn't for me. It's for somebody else. Well, too bad - it doesn't belong here, then.

Now, maybe their goal is that they'd like to encourage me to branch out a bit, learn some other languages. But come on. That's a rude way to go about it. Submit that comment in English, and maybe say at the end "hey, ever consider learning to read Chinese?" Don't hit me with the hard sell.

Perhaps there's a cultural difference, here. One that I'm missing out on. I'm willing to believe that maybe there is.

But anyway, until I hear what it is, I'm just going to have to keep rejecting these! Just so everyone knows.

I don't mean to be racist. It's not intended as racist.

No comments: