Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Name That Tune #29!

"A parking lot was placed on a parcel of ground,
on the spot where previously, a market, and before that,
a center for ball-rolling, and prior to that a ballroom,
had stood. Large ensembles provided the music there.
On the Sabbath, my female sibling went there.

'I invite you to dance,' said each of her gentleman callers
No reason not to dance. It is to be expected.

Same Sabbath, different date
Despite her readiness, she would keep him in suspense
outside, picturing it like a ketchup bottle
Unaware he wasn't getting any.
At the end of the night, after blowing all his spending loot on this dame
he'll get naught but a chaste embrace for his troubles

'I invite you to dance,' that was their mode during my childhood
And each invitation was accepted by my female sibling.

She would come in after curfew
The female parental unit was in attendance upon her arrival
The result was a big fight
over my female sibling's tardiness

I spied on them, outside, by the light of the moon
A dark outline and a farewell by the door in the fence by the growing zone.

When they demolished the ballroom,
My female sibling bawled
and that phase of my young life expired

Currently, I'm an adult musician
There's a parking lot where the ballroom used to be
My female sibling is a wife on a well-off homestead
Her female offspring are the ones who stay out late
She is aware that they escape unscathed for things that would have been looked at more seriously in her day
What I wonder is, if I invited her, would she accept

an invitation to dance. My female sibling, I urge you to party
You should not fear the dance. It is only to be expected.

'I invite you to dance,' as if it were the ballroom on the Sabbath
and as if your old cronies will all show up, dancing where those large ensembles
were accustomed to provide the music."

3 comments:

limom said...

Come Dancing

Mel said...

Come Dancing: The Kinks

dogimo said...

Thats a point for limom, and a 0.3 of a point for Mel!

The RUNNING TALLY:

Mel: 20.9
limom: 4
Elliott: 3.3
Pearl: 1
Sean: 1
Steam Me Up, Kid: 1
Debbie: 0.3
J-Bird: 0.3
snortingmarmots: 0.3

Limom! You just shot into second place!

And I'll level with you buddy: I like your chances to stay there.

Some sad news for Name-That-Tune fans, folks: next week's is the last Name That Tune that I've got banked. 30 is a nice round number. I plan to start up a new series of Wednesday riddles, but next week's will ring down the curtain on Name That Tunes.

Mel, I'm going to be pretty disappointed in you if you can't crack 21. I'd call that "backing into" the title. Note, this isn't blackjack. Going over's fine.