Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Women's Suffrage. Important? Yes. Unimportant? No.

Today marks the 90th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment securing once and for all the right of a woman to vote. So far, anyhow! And I'm happy to report, I don't see a credible threat to it. It looks pretty secure. I think this is one victory we can all feel pretty sure of, permanence-wise.

It's kind of nice to have a few achievements we can afford to feel a little complacent about!

This important anniversary was noted on Google's main page - not with the full "Google Doodle" logo treatment, but rather by a notation underneath the logo and search bar. It was an understated footnote, next to a checkbox, with a pink checkmark emblazoned in the checkbox. As if to say: "See how pretty my vote is!"

Look, I'm not one of those feminists who likes to point out imagined slights in every little thing hither and yon. I just report the facts.

Suffrage itself is troublesome, to some. Even in this day and age. Some find the very word to be a little unpleasant. Some would say it sounds like a cross between "suffering" and "roughage" - possibly good for you, but can't we find a better way to get the beneficial effect, without all the suffering? This concern is arguably a real one.

Others may point out that it just sounds stupid, or that the song "Suffragette City" by David Bowie paints a confusing and inaccurate picture of the struggle. I myself prefer to hum the Battle Hymn of the Republic while gazing, misty-eyed (but clear-eyed), at a future bright and bristling with female voters! I think that's the real story, here - and one we'd all do well to remember has a happy ending. For once! Does everything political have to be some soul-crushing endless wrangle? Is it a betrayal of the cause to admit that sometimes, a given fight can be won? I think we all need to maybe drop some of these distracting side questions, and focus on the real gains made. To that end, I wrote a poem dedicated to the events commemorated in today's anniversay notation on Google, and I posted that poem right in my own poetry blog. I reproduce that poem here, for you, in its entirety:

GO GO SUFFRAGETTES!

Today the woman's right to vote
was ratified,
some years ago
and on this anniversary: I say
"GOOD JOB!"
to Susie B.

Now, some may take issue with the reference to Susan B. Anthony, on the grounds that it marginalizes the important contributions made by others. But I say: every movement needs its heroes. I say Susan B. Anthony is rightly lionized for her leadership and tireless efforts! If we can't look to her for inspiration and with gratitude for her life's labor paving the way for a victory she herself would not live to see - well, I call that pretty poor.

In terms of American icons, Susan B. Anthony looms as large as Lady Liberty herself! A symbol can be important, even if it isn't a direct representation of those whose lives and whose cause it stands for. Why, Lady Liberty is a far cry from resembling the huddled masses on whose behalf she stands sentinel, some of whom may have been a little green coming off the boat I am sure, but none of whom can have been remotely as colossal. That's what an icon is for: to inspire us to some ideal, some ideal that maybe we ourselves may fall short of - but yet we can look up! We can see an example, and we can be inspired to throw what weight we have behind it! Such heroes and symbols should inspire us in the contributions we make, no one should feel belittled by the shining lanterns that light our way.

Speaking of green and colossal, I've often thought it would be cool if the Jolly Green Giant and Lady Liberty could be introduced! I bet they'd hit it off. Wouldn't that be great? I'm not saying she needs a man or anything, but she's seemed so stoic and lonely, at times, down all these years. She's so dignified, noble and serious! And he's such a jolly guy. Ho, ho, ho. I bet they'd complement each other's strengths.

Admittedly, Jolly Green's a damn handsome fellow, and might be able to do a bit better, in the looks dep't. Libby's a bit on the butch side. Did you ever get a good look at her jaw? But after all, it's what she stands for that makes her so beautiful, in our eyes. If J.G. can't see that, then screw him. He needs to eat more carrots.

It all goes to underscore just how complex the issues are surrounding Women's Suffrage. But the main point is: Women's Suffrage. It's a done deal. DEAL WITH IT. That's the main point, if we want to be underscoring things. 'Cause folks, if you ain't heard, let me tell you the score: Women's Suffrage: 1, Opposition: 0.

Game Over.

All you misogynists out there can suck it!

3 comments:

Pearl said...

Oh God you crack me up!

Seriously silly stuff.

Pearl

dogimo said...

Thank you, Pearl! Of course, there is a serious point underlying the silliness!

In my view, it can still be a serious point even if everybody already completely gets it. You know. Sometimes those are precisely the points that we forget to emphasize.

dogimo said...

Hm.

I think I meant 'neglect to emphasize.'