Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, September 03, 2010

How Not to Ace a Job Interview

"My current job? I'm a Supplier Relations Manager. And when I say I'm 'a' Supplier Relations Manager...I am The Supplier Relations Manager. I'm cocky as hell about how I go about my business, I'm not ashamed to say. I do a pretty bad job, though. I admit it. I've gotten complacent over the years. It's not that I'm bad at it. When I say I do a bad job, it's not that the quality of the work is bad. It's more a reflection of performance versus capacity. I could potentially do three times as good a job. I've got unspeakable potential, one of the reasons I'm looking for a change. Where I am, the potential I have is just not being served. I've become too good to have to try any more, half the time. Let's be honest - I mean, I have goals, targets, goals that I strive for, that I'm way behind on. I'm going to hit it, I'm going to hit those goals! Nobody's better than me at that, I may be way behind but I'm going to catch up fast, full-throttle or half-assed, hit that target square on the dot just a little over budget and a tick under time. I've got more experience doing that than anything or anybody around. I will tell you that much. That's why I'm pretty cocky about being able to do whatever job you need. Whatever the job requires! I'm the man, and I'm desperate for a chance to prove myself in a tough, creative work setting after being underutilized! I will work circles around you. True, my confidence may be a bit too high for some people's taste, but in the long run I think it's balanced out by my complacency lately, so I think, a change of scenery maybe - could be just the trick! Perfect. And believe me, I'm good. I'm not too cocky - not too cocky for what you need. I'm not arrogant or anything. I'm incredibly arrogant, when it comes to what I know I can do, but these other aspects I'm mentioning counteract some of that, to bring me back to about, neutral humility. On balance. I'm very easy to work with.

Wait, sorry. What was the question?"

2 comments:

Chazz said...

I know it was how not to ace a job interview, but arrrgh, get out of my head!
I may be in a different job role, but I can tell you I am exactly at the place where I am complacent only because I am not too well trained and under utilised at the job I do.

dogimo said...

I do actually have a trick for that, but I don't know if it works for real people (I mean, I'm a real person! But a lot of my tricks don't strike others as practical). I just invent small ways where my job intersects with other peoples' jobs, to where I can take on a little more of my end of what they're doing, and they think I'm helping them, but what really ends up happening is I insinuate myself a little into their process, and trick them into improving it in whatever ways.

Anyway. It keeps me amused.