Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The National Anthem: An Appreciation

I've got to hand it to the "Star Spangled-Banner." That shit hits home, every time.

Anybody who wrote that fucking song, I say give 'em the key to the American Section in whatever passes for an afterlife up there, because they did a damn JOB on that thing and they earned it. If "earned their stripes" is a saying, well they earned their stripes and stars.

Because God damn if that anthem doesn't make grown men weep, and arouse a certain fervor and ardor in the breasts of all red-blooded patriots everywhere in earshot of that fucking thing, when it goes off. Assuming it's done properly. It's not an easy song by any means, and so it's subject to its share of cock-ups. But as John Cougar Mellencamp observed: "Ain't that America?"

I believe it was Jay-Z who put it best when he said, "That's the anthem, get your damn hands up."

Now in the interest of balance, I need to note that my opinion on this, while it may be shared by Jay-Z and John Cougar Mellencamp, still, our opinion on this anthem is not universal. Some people say "change it."

To these fools, I reply: "Change AMERICA."

3 comments:

limom said...

Francis Scott Key.
I know this cause F. Scott Fitzgerald was named after him.
Cousins or something.
Written I believe during the War of 1812 as the British bombarded Fort McHenry.
Okay, just checked. It was actualy written in 1814.
You cannot watch the Olympics and hear it and not have some tears well up in yer eyes.
Serious patriotism going on there.

dogimo said...

Well, he's already got the key I suspect. :-D

John Dantzer said...

I agree, I'm not American, but listening to it causes my eyes to well up.