Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, November 19, 2010

THIS Is My Favorite Pink Floyd Song.



"Shine On You Crazy Diamond."

Not "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. IV" from Wish You Were Here. Not even "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts. I-V", from Wish You Were Here - no, nor "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts. VI-IX" from Wish You Were Here, neither. Though by your smiling you seem to say so.

Not even "Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts. I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII and IX" considered together as a whole! No. Those songs pretty much all - I don't want to put it delicately here, but every single one of those songs stinks. You might as well light up a big, stanky bowl of marijuana hash pot, for all the good it'll do you at that point.

No, sir. My favorite Pink Floyd song is "Shine On You Crazy Diamond." From A Collection of Great Dance Songs. The original, and still the best - or rather, to paraphrase: not the original, but still the best. And I do mean by far.

It sucks how bad those other songs suck, compared to how great a song some of them could have been. Thank God somebody at the record company butted in and took care of business.

2 comments:

Pearl said...

You're right. All those other versions are crap.

:-)

Pearl

dogimo said...

We're serious, Pearl. You might think I'm kidding, or alternately I might think you're kidding, but the fact is we're serious.

In a case like this I like to interpret the " :-) " smiley as simple happiness to at long last, tell the truth about how far these songs fall short.

Compared to how awesome that song IS. God, I love "Shine On You Crazy Diamond."

You know the one I mean.