Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, December 09, 2010

15 More Shopping Days!

I can't stay too long in department stores. Browsing the aisles for clothing. Wandering the rows. I start to have these disturbing flashes, hyperawareness. False awareness. I will sense hovering presences, a person suddenly looming to my side who isn't there. A figure crouching in an awkward pose, at my elbow, just past peripheral. And I feel, I know that if I turn, I will see - a mockery. Decapitated, headless. Or else - a nightmare face. Skin of an impossibly neutral color but with no face - with an utterly blank, featureless face. Eyeless, mouthless - contours and angles. Disturbing apparitions from out of a drugged nightmare.

I have to get the hell out of there.

2 comments:

marsanderson said...

I thought I was the only person who experienced this! Department stores are scary.

dogimo said...

YES.

Yes they are. It's unnerving enough without the creepy music!

This time of year, it's like...I just have to psych myself up (or out). I have to put myself in a mindset, I tell myself - "hey, BUD. You're the scariest thing in this store. These mannequins need to be afraid of YOU, not the other way around!!!"

Good tip on that tactic, though, is not to say it aloud. Or at least, not too loud.