Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Sour Cream is the King of Condiments, Yo.

Have I said that before? I think I have. Well whether I did or I didn't, it's just as true today as it was then. And if you want to claim I didn't say so before, well all I can say is don't say the same thing tomorrow because we'll all know you're a liar.

Sour cream, yo. King of Condiments. And to make my meaning plain, I don't mean that like Budweiser is the King of Beers. I mean it like a lion is the king of the beasts, I mean it like Godzilla is King of the Monsters. Albeit, in the case of monsters who are also beasts, I can see where there might be a jurisdiction squabble there.

I expect the lion has the sense to back down from that one. Cats are pragmatic.

4 comments:

limom said...

Why the king?
The only thing I use it for are baked potatos, which I feel like eating right now, besides that, well, that's the only thing I use it for.
In fact, the bacon bits rank higher than the sour cream.
In the baked potato heirarchy.

JMH said...

Then plain Greek yogurt must be the king's envious brother. You can't trust those active cultures.

dogimo said...

@limom - well, you know, tastes do vary. I don't expect to talk anybody around to my point of view - but I can go on and on about why I see it that way!

To me, there's just nothing more regal than that thick, creamy dollop of sour on top. It's a lot more versatile than what most people think to use it on! I put a dollop on a salmon fillet, it's a classic topping for red snapper. Even a filet mignon (with a nice charred exterior and pink juicy middle!) is a great vehicle for his highness! That's not as weird as it sounds - remember, sour cream is one of the main ingredients for beef stroganoff. It's delicious as a topping for french toast, with banana slices and walnuts (and some pure maple syrup). I was dipping quesadillas in some sour cream when I wrote this.

Most of us barely scratch the surface of sour cream's potential! Now it's true as you say that you don't think to use sour cream on so many things as say, ketchup or mustard or mayo. But that's also part of what makes it royalty, and not a foot soldier!

dogimo said...

@JMH - I bet yogurt would spin it another way - and I'm with you on the use of yogurt as a condiment! Especially if you're talking yogurt-based dips a la my beloved tsatsiki. But still, as with you as I am on that, I bet yogurt would say: "Condiment? Sure, I can top ya. But I'm a food in my own right. Yogurt is eaten as a dish unto itself, which means I outrank any mere condiment."

At least, that's how I picture the justification going.

True, I've been known to tuck into a bit of sour cream on its own with just a spoon for company, but...that's not really culturally-standard practice for where I'm at. I couldn't elevate it past condiment on the cultural plane based on me just being a sour cream freak.