Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Breakfast: It's What's For Breakfast.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I'm pretty sure it's the Egg Council that says that. Not the Beef Council.

You know what, though? I'm not much of a steak and eggs guy, anyway. Usually it strikes me as a big hot slab of nothing-too-inspiring, sitting there next to the glistening eggs and crisp 'tates like an outwardly-charred, inwardly-bloody chore that I've got to cut my way through, assuming they cooked it right. Partly, my uninspired take may be just down to the cuts they've been serving me - a great cut of steak doesn't need some wifty treatment to shine! And sadly, more often than not, the cuts made available to you for breakfast seem to be not quite up to making the cut at a good dinner place. But even if you have a really good piece of steak - there's something about that steak that sort of bowls the breakfast aspect aside, and makes you feel like you're eating dinner with a side of eggs.

You know what I think would tie the two together better? Eggs and steak? A nice benedict variation. How about a sort of a filet oscar meets eggs benedict: a delicious, rare filet mignon, topped with tender asparagus spears, a couple big poached eggs, generous lump crab and a sauce hollandaise, I think - not the oscar's béarnaise. This is after all breakfast!

Maybe it's brunch. Either way, I'd be willing to give that a try. A nice light crispy-fried side of lightly herbed and seasoned home fries done golden would complete the plate.

Who likes steak and eggs?

5 comments:

limom said...

Steak and eggs not really my thing.
Spam ang eggs!
That rocks! and ketchup, lots of ketchup!

LiBBy said...

Hold the crabmeat and Im all over it. Eggs benedict = rockstar food.

TimT said...

Mr Gudgeon, that's who:

Where in this world will you find anything more sustaining, more
inspiring, more satisfying, more invigorating, rnore absolutely
culminating and fulfilling than steak and eggs? Nowhere.

As I said to Stanley at the Greek restaurant, after we had given our
order: "Stanley, when the poor sailor returns from foreign lands, from
long, lonely cruises, from sleepless nights and toil-filled days; when
at last he sets foot in his home port--what does he do?"

"Gets drunk," said Stanley.

The boy was right.

"What does he do next?" I asked.

"Father, I'm surprised at you talking about that. You know very well
what----"

"No," I cut in firmly, "I don't mean that; I mean, well, damn it all he
orders steak and eggs, doesn't he?"

"Yes, of course."

"Well, why didn't you say so at first? Trying to confuse your poor old
father!"

"What," I continued, "does the explorer do when he returns to
civilization after long months in the jungle--what does he crave?"

"Steak and eggs."

"Right. When the starving wanderer, lost in the desert, first starts to
lose his reason; what does he see?"

"Steak and eggs."

"What does the acquitted co-respondent rush for as soon as he leaves
the divorce court?"

"Steak and eggs."

I was satisfied. I leaned back in my chair and gazed around me. Two
young women of the gimme type were gazing with bright, lizard eyes at
our table.

"Who are those girls over there, Stan?" I asked.

"Steak and eggs," replied Stan in a flat, toneless voice.


Lennie Lower, 'Here's Luck', Chapter III

Edana said...

Steak Eggs Benedict. You're welcome.

dogimo said...

Wow, I never replied to ANY BODY on this thread!

By the way, I've done a cute little history of the Eggs Benedict here, for anybody interested. It's kind of buried in a post about McDonalds, but whatever.

@limom - never had Spam and eggs, but if I make it to Hawai'i it's definitely on!

@LiBBy - will do! I will gladly take your share of the crabmeat. I'm not sure whether you mean rockstar food as in: food for a rockstar or as in: a rockstar among food items, and I agree with you either way.

TimT: I love his use of "culminating", but I don't quite share his enthusiasm for good ol' steak and eggs. Which is odd, because I do love breakfast for dinner, and what's breakfastier than eggs or dinnerier than steak? Yet the two together (in their most basic forms) throw each other off, somehow.

@Edana: thank you! Those pictures are in/of themselves, delicious. But I'm holding out for when you take a crack at it!