Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

THE MIGHTY THOR: Harmless Cinematic Diversion, or Abomination Before The Lord?

I bet this Thor movie gets some real protests going from the whole monotheist crowd. Crowd-slash-lobby. I mean, come on - a "THUNDER GOD"?? Monotheists hate that shit. Let's face it - Odin is not Jehovah with an eyepatch, okay? The systems are incompatible.

But what if they weren't? How cool would it be if God just liked to dress up in costumes back in the day, treat all the little different tribes and peoples each a little differently...? "Hm, these seafaring marauders, I know just the thing! An eyepatch, arrrrrh matey."

And then St. Michael would be all, "Good God. I am not going to participate in this whole 'Ragnarok' mess. Been there. Done that!"

6 comments:

kourtney said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(Tooo funnnny!!)

=D

k.

dogimo said...

You know, kourtney, it's kind of a shame. It doesn't look like the producers of this flick are going to mine that rich potential vein of comedy.

That Kenneth Branagh. Such a sour plum!

kourtney said...

well how do you know?? have you pitched it?? maybe your idea could be the sequel....or the prequel!

i would say go for it, and Booooo to the nay-sayers! =)

k.

dogimo said...

Hm. It's a little tricky trying to pitch someone on an approach to their own property! Not that anybody owns Norse Thor the Thundergod, but Marvel's take is a pretty strong mark that I wouldn't necessarily want to go up against and/or be accused of diluting. Yet if I come to them with a treatment on the character they have rights to and I don't, I don't necessarily have much negotiating leverage. Long story short, it might not be worth the investment of effort even for a talented amateur such as myself.

However if you want to put yourself out there as my agent on this property, I'd be willing in principle to cut you in for 10% of whatever play-or-pay deal you can secure for my as-yet-unwritten humorous Thor treatment, subject to my approval of the particulars of course.

kourtney said...

hm. good point.

ok, deal! (but only cuz i look forward to the hilarious 'treatment' that would surely ensue when you do write it! i'll check back in in a few days to see if anything's posted, or send me an e-mail of the rough draft......hey how's that other poem coming along by the way??)

k.

dogimo said...

Beg pardon there K, the deal would have to be for an as-yet-unwritten treatment! That's the whole point, it wouldn't be worth the effort to write it unless they have already ponied up a commitment.

I'm not saying it's an easy job, but it's a waste of time and effort for everybody unless the one possible client signs on to the pitch. For a screenplay based on my own property, there's a decent market I can shop that to! But on a superhero Thor treatment, I only see one hassle-free potential buyer.

I don't do spec work!