Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Convenience Is a State of Mind

So I got a Big Gulp at the Seven Elev, and by "Big Gulp" I mean a SLURPEE. When was the last time I had one of those? Holy cow! I just had a sudden crave for the coldest quench your throat can get.

That red stuff came out of the nozzle so fast. I thought I cut it off in time. I almost cut it off in time - but that's Cherry FANTA, son. It's carbonated. It fizzed up. Up almost to the top - - ! Up to the top...I'm like, "It's stopping!" "Should I sip it?" "I didn't pay yet!"

Come on. Picture some class dude like me, dressed as I was (class), taking big gulps of his Slurpee, right there at the fountain. Please. No way.

Anyway, a little bit fizzed up and dripped over the top of the cup. A few rills and rivulets. I leaned back and to the right and pulled three napkins, then I crouched down, mopped the fountain counter and the splash down the front, wiped the little red puddle on the floor. Tossed the damp pinkened wads in the wastebasket, straightened up and then I noticed the guy was looking at me from across the store like I was from outer space. Like maybe he'd never seen a dude clean his own mess in his store before.

I defused the situation with a quick back head-nod / chin-toss and a gruff, "S'UP."

We were cool.

3 comments:

lacrema said...

Take it from [insert my full name here for dramatic effect], you were the first customer ever to clean up after himself in that store. I have had people spill entire 42-oz. cups of sugary soda on the counter, onto me AND the printer, and just go get a new one without saying a word.

Fuckers.

Dr. Cynicism said...

Oh hell yes! You reminded me that it's that time of year again for SLURPEES! Woohoo!

Also, nice blog! Glad I found it :-)

dogimo said...

@Lac - this makes me kind of furious at people.

@Dr. Cynicism - can I just say how delightful it is to see someone who goes by "Dr. Cynicism" who responds strongly and enthusiastically to SLURPEES! I feel like self-identified Cynics (I almost put "Cynicists"!) are often wrongly hit with the elitist tag. As if there's anything in a wary, knowing recognition of the self-interest by which most of the world operates that could in any way exclude a robust appreciation of life's humble pleasures!

@Lac - there's no "kind of" about it, really. What the F.