Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, June 02, 2011

SCREW YOU, Dr. McNinja!

Man, I am THROUGH with "webcomics." Every one I find (that I like), I'll start from the front and plow straight through the story voraciously, and then - it STOPS.

It just stops dead. Right in the thick of the story.

Then a few days later, you get a little bit more.

Who can re-immerse in a fictional universe this way? In this abrupt, start-stop interrupted punctuated fashion? What kind of medium is this, through which to grip me with a thrilling narrative?

It's like if you buy a book, and you're really into it - you can't put it down! - then suddenly 100 pages from the end, it stops. And they start mailing you a page at a time, every Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Acceptable? Aw, naw. Hells naw.

I'm sorry, this is an irredeemably flawed story delivery system. Okay, the gag-per-page self-contained comics? Exempted. Those are fine.

Cat And Girl, you're off the hook.

4 comments:

lacrema said...

1. I am not sure I like Cat and a Girl.
2. Dickens posted Pickwick Papers, David Copperfield, and more, as serials
3. I don't really have a third point. Or really a point at all. Apparently I just like the sound of my own voice, in type.

dogimo said...

I've certainly enjoyed a number of works that were originally put out in serial form (Vanity Fair leaps to mind). It helped that I had the whole book in my hand. Their original publication schedule was no obstacle to my enjoyment. It very much would have been.

Which is what I'm getting at: I'd say there's a good reason that serialization of novels has fallen off, over the years.

3. I like that too! Yours, I mean.

TimT said...

I suspect Pickwick Papers, etc, would still work in that context, because the serialised parts of Dickens novels were quite substantial, several chunky chapters in length - and Dickens had a clear idea of the overall story. Some modern serials aren't as satisfying, or carefully crafted.

The last modern serial I paid much attention too was Buffy, several years ago - that was a gripping show, more or less for the same reasons as Dickens and Henry Fielding and other classic novelists wrote gripping books: satisfying individually, and well-crafted as a whole.

dogimo said...

The tv analogy is a good one, as is the point that the amount of story being delivered in one installment matters. I can take a tv ep's worth of material per installment, or a chapter of a book. A page at a time - that's not even a commercial break's worth in most cases.