Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Props to Mr. Dee, My Favorite English Teacher

Man, I just had a miniature epiphany listening to this. As I just kept listening to this song, reeling with the cumulative hits, feeling the full force of what wordplay is CAPABLE OF. THIS MAN:



...one Mohandas Dewese, nom de guerre: Kool Moe Dee, taught me more about the proper use of the English language than any other teacher, artist, writer, speaker or critic, living or dead.

Especially where "proper use" involves bragging about one's mastery of said language! Which, it's possible we need to make some allowances, there. Cultural, historical allowances. I mean, in Victorian times, for instance, it would not have been acceptable for Dickens to come out so bold, juking and strutting and lionizing himself in his own prose, warning the sucker novelists to get off his tip. Probably he might have caught my inner mother tongue's ear to a much greater degree, had he been allowed to "cut loose."

No comments: