Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

You Know What? I Don't Like The Smiths, After All.

I just realized, after all these years thinking I liked or even possibly, loved the Smiths: I don't. I don't like the Smiths. The Smiths were a bunch of effete Brit artiste wannabe rockabilly hillbillies. You know what I do like?

I like Morrissey. And he got better, later.

I like Johnny Marr. And he got way better, later.

And I love How Soon Is Now. That song did not come from Earth.



7 comments:

dogimo said...

Okay OKAY.

I also love "Please, Please, Please Let Me, Let Me, Let Me, (Let Me) Get What I Want (This Time)." That song's aces.

I can play it on guitar. I can sing that thing to sleep.

Mel said...

Wow. I have heard this song so many times in the past, but it was only on THIS listen that I realised Soho had sampled it for Hippy Chick. Weird I'd never noticed it before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYv3PHPd6M

Pearl said...

You are absolutely right.

Pearl

dogimo said...

Careful, Pearl! The more you validate me, the righter I'm going to get.

dogimo said...

Every now and then, I suddenly love and appreciate and then am grateful for the fact that I don't have to approve my own comments. That's a nice feature!

And then...other times, I kind of wish there was some intervening approval process.

But who can I rely on for that, right? You have to stand up and own your own responsibilities. At some point, you just have to.

Because it ain't going to help you to not.

Mel said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/mar/02/johnny-marr-smiths-reform-government

Mel said...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/mar/02/johnny-marr-smiths-reform-government