Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

GET ME A SHOW ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL

I NEED ONE. THAT WOULD BE PERFECT FOR ME! What a venue!

Oh my god I could open so many peoples' eyes on so many points of um

Wait.

I need to bone up on some of this stuff first. You can't just go on the Discovery Channel and go off about why you find subjects EXCITING. You have to KNOW THEM. You have to own them. No actually, you probably just have to know them.

So the call goes out to those of you: I need STUDY BUDDIES in the FOLLOWING FIELDS:

1. Natural History (covers everything from evolutionary biology to the birth of the universe and its progress made since)

2. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not math

2. ok math

2. CAN ANYONE EVEN TEACH ME MATH? I don't

3. The cultural anthropology of human biology: a focus on mythological and sociological aspects of the body: all the ways different world cultures proceed from the same basic living equipment to manufacture all different sorts of taboos, ritual, celebrations, and explanations for this that or the other bit of fleshy systemics! And WHY? This alone could be a pretty rich show. You could take off from that to take you all over the world, and deep into the roots of peoples' blood-deep natural main ingrained ways to be - from culture-wise to genetically. And how the differences set as off, even as the commonalities unite us!

4. Art. Actually, forget it. I have this cold. Plus...that's more an A & E channel field.

5. The art, science, and evolution of human entertainments? By casting it in sociological terms, I think it fits. A study of what has kept people busy and enthralled in their leisure hours, from time immemorial on the paleolithic plains right down to now? An examination of the history of new techniques, their introduction and proliferation to be sure, but with a focus on the changing purpose and perception of entertainments themselves! Their role. Sports, theater, movies, television, storytelling, pantomime, charades and games - for the purposes of this course (for the purpose of the associated series), I would like you to approach "entertainments" with the definition: any pastime with forms and conventions (and in some cases, rules) set up, developed, refined, elaborated upon and popularized with a goal to have a reliable way for humans to pass the time enjoyably - whether as participants/performers (as in baseball) or spectators (also as in baseball).

6.

Um. You know what? These courses are getting a little involved. Such that a study buddy would almost have to put in some major work getting the course together, first. So OK, I guess I'm not really asking for "study buddies" here, so much as research partners. But I guess that's pretty much just life, anyhow!

Maybe the Discovery Channel could help me. They probably provide research assistants! I mean, they've got as much a vested interest in this as I do. They don't want to end up airing a shit program, just because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and they couldn't provide the small boost of erudition a study buddy could provide.

No comments: