Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, November 10, 2023

Memories of smile dot com

I used to go on smile.com which apparently was a place of many URLS ("smile dot com" was seriously the least used by me) which was also an open real-time text chat, but it was HTML enabled - good place to practice code! And I'd go on as LILPNUS or DTARD or whatever popped off the top of my head, and I'd ask people how to bake a potato

This was literally because I'd forgotten the temp and length and such. Setting up dedicated channels between chatters was super-easy at that point. People would fight it out on the deets, and I'm the gainer. 

Edit: The internet was no resource then. All baked potato recipies were extraordinary of length and temp variation. I've since discovered my go-to at 400 degrees with a WET SKIN, salt-encrusted by hand for ... howevermany minutes. Nick knows, I can always ask him. The internet though is F'CKING USELESS, and WAS. 

/Edit. 

So I'd pop on, practice a lil' HTML and such, and learn how to bake a potato! S (my then-gf) loved a baked potato

Wait. It was WEELAD. That was my main name. Then she took MY HANDLE (Wee Lad) as her forum name someplace else! I was so pissed

1 comment:

dogimo said...

Please note the omission of "full stop" at key points in this post! Specifically, at the tail end of several sentences. This is punctuationally normal in online or text realms, and signifies a sentence ending midair, or trailing off (but not to so breath-y a degree as DOT DOT DOT would signify).

"Full Stop" is what they call this:.

THIS:

.

In civilized parts of the world. In gendersexually-obsessed America, at least in the upper-middle part known far and wide as AMERICA, THE UNITED STATES PART, that same innocent yet final-seeming DOT (ALL CAPS for emphasis has a far greater lineage and validity than either italics or bold) is called a "period."

That's a mark I don't use in relation to my ex, S.