Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Duck: A Plea Against Sweetness

We who feed on duck can't help but wonder: must it always be glopped up with sweetness? Must a maple glaze or a fruity accent always intrude? Who thinks this treatment flatters the poor bird?

I yearn for and crave savory duck, duck that stands proudly up amongst hearty potatoes and vegetables and proclaims itself dinner, and not some wayward dessert that slipped as if by mistake onto the dinner plate. Dinner: real dinner, fit to be taken seriously as a square meal! Not some delicate tease of a dish, tarted and glazed with jams and sugars.

May not we savory-duck cravers too be satisified? Must every place that knows how to cook duck also take such perverse delight in fucking it up thus, in such disgustingly sweet and candified fashion? Fie! Fie upon such foul sweetness!

11 comments:

Sean Scully said...

Ah, you must visit Sang Kee Duck House in Philly next time you come back East. Savory and delicious.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dogimo said...

RJW: Tutti Frutti Duck is exactly the sort of thing I'm complaining about. I don't want any frutti on there! Let alone tutti. The waitstaff, I'm fine with. But not the duck.

Sean: I don't mean Asian savory duck, so much. I meant European savory duck.

Although I would not turn up my nose at the other! And I do love it, when I'm in the mood, but it's not the same thing. The whole dish and how it comes is different from what I'm trying to crave, here. I'm talking: duck on a dinner plate with two recognizably Western sides and a garnish, a real dinner-style dinner! And not sweet.

Crispy duck with an Asian style of saucing and spicing is a completely different delight.

Damn, though. Now my mouth is watering for that. Sang Kee huh? Well OK!

dogimo said...

DUCK duck DUCK duck

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dogimo said...

Most duck is Canadian but we shoot it passing through.

Unless of course, you're talking farmed duck.

dogimo said...

Oh yeah - I got that you got it, I was saying "that's exactly what I'm complaining about", along the lines of a "nail on the head" acknowledgement.

dogimo said...

My knowledge of the spelling of judgment throws off my knowledge of the spelling of acknowledgement.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Which reminds me of a screenplay idea.

A kick-ass screenplay idea.