Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Hot N Cold" Over This Katy Perry

I happened to be watching a video by chanteuse nouvelle, outrée et chaude Katy Perry, when I was suddenly struck aghast by the...there's no other way to put this. The similarity. The similarity between the hook from her song "Hot N Cold," and the hook from one of mine ("Sensitive Soul").

Her part goes:
'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in and you're out
You're up and you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white

Mine goes:



Well look, it doesn't really matter how mine goes. It's close enough! Point is: she got hers out first. Now, I'm no sore loser. Fair is fair. OBVIOUSLY she came up with mine completely independently of me coming up with hers! I'm not trying to claim anything shady. No shady doings were done.

But I'm just saying...OK, her melody is nothing like mine. So there's that. And mine doesn't use all the exact same opposites, nor does it resolve the same way with fight/breakup, kiss/makeup. Instead, it brings in an unrelated angle.

So I guess what I'm saying is...

The case I'm going to try to make, here, is that packing a refrain chock with near-rhymed opposites is a banal and obvious enough ploy that you can't really say it would constitute plagiarism on either of our parts.

I'm taking the high road.

Miss Perry, would you care to follow suit?

No comments: