Not that I've tried. I think maybe that's just an excuse for procrastinating on this blank canvas.
I've got a few ideas. Ideas for treatments. Some preliminary mental sketches worked up.
I had some ideas for topics or serieses (what's the plural of series? It can't be "series of series" because there is no relation between the different series ideas, and so they would not properly be serial, in relation to each other, except in the chronological sense - in fact, not even there, since there would likely be overlap! Wow, I haven't even picked one idea to start with, and already how hypothetically and problematically prolific I've become. I've got overlapping serieses to manage!
At some point, one does have to put in a close parenthesis).
I did look it up, of course: the plural of series is the same as the singular. Inadequate. I refuse to accept that answer.
I did, however, look up and accept the proper plural of "canvas" - which has been fixed and implemented, forthwith!
Anyway. A lot of these are taken already, as in, other artists have done similar themes or topics, but none of them how I picture mine, so. The field is open for me to show a few entrenched snoot merchants who boss is. A few ideas for a series of canvases:
* The Night Light Series - using primarily photo references taken through streaked and sometimes rainy nighttime windshields, the barely glimpsed arcing pebbled glimmer of the road catching headlights, the red tail lights puncturing the black canvas, different designs created by barely-lightcaught contours of objects and occasional planes of darkened buildings. I could paint jillions of these. The ominous green eye of a traffic light dancing in its speckled halo of windshield waterdrops, beckoning to the driver - "keep going, all clear ahead - it's not too late - you're not too tired..."
* The Other Night Light Series - my sweetie was telling me about some night lights they have in her childhood home. I may need to locate and paint these: darkened canvases depicting pitch-darkened rooms with the tiny light from one lit corner, that little light picks out highlights all across the canvas. A plugged-in plastic character, features feebly glaring with electric glow. Smooth outlets, encircled by a corona of dim stippled yellow paint (or is it only yellow from the light?) where the bedroom wall can be seen, 'til the halo fades out past where the reach of the light fails. The rest of the room: shapes brood in silence.
* The Heavily-Censored Hardcore Pornography Series - pretty much just what it says. I'd make strong use of bold, graphically well-placed black bars. The composition would be exquisite. There would be no denying This Is Art. There would also be no denying This Is A Crass Stunt To Claim Highbrow Status By The Easy Expedient Of Offending Lowbrow Sensibilities.
* The "Black Bar" Series - a series of smaller canvases, in the same shapes as the previous series's strategically-placed black bars, after the controversy fades on the previous series, showing what got left out. It's all cropped so tight you can barely tell what it is! Just a bunch of bold rectangles of mostly pale pinks and tans. The lewd poetry of intersecting lines.
I've got some other ones. Some other good ideas. Those above ones have been kicking around for years, mostly, and as I've said, there's plenty of other people working similar visual themes to death already. But so what? Look at all the people painting flowers!
That's what I say.
In fact, for this blank canvas? I think I'll start off with some flowers. Eeeeease back into it.
I've got a few ideas. Ideas for treatments. Some preliminary mental sketches worked up.
I had some ideas for topics or serieses (what's the plural of series? It can't be "series of series" because there is no relation between the different series ideas, and so they would not properly be serial, in relation to each other, except in the chronological sense - in fact, not even there, since there would likely be overlap! Wow, I haven't even picked one idea to start with, and already how hypothetically and problematically prolific I've become. I've got overlapping serieses to manage!
At some point, one does have to put in a close parenthesis).
I did look it up, of course: the plural of series is the same as the singular. Inadequate. I refuse to accept that answer.
I did, however, look up and accept the proper plural of "canvas" - which has been fixed and implemented, forthwith!
Anyway. A lot of these are taken already, as in, other artists have done similar themes or topics, but none of them how I picture mine, so. The field is open for me to show a few entrenched snoot merchants who boss is. A few ideas for a series of canvases:
(FORE-NOTE: I talk here about a lot of my preoccupations and preferences when it comes to painting - I like to play with shadow, reflection, the tension between the reality of the picture plane and the reality of what it depicts, painting in a way that is basically realistic, but choosing subjects and compositions that allow for abstraction to come strongly in to play)
* The Night Light Series - using primarily photo references taken through streaked and sometimes rainy nighttime windshields, the barely glimpsed arcing pebbled glimmer of the road catching headlights, the red tail lights puncturing the black canvas, different designs created by barely-lightcaught contours of objects and occasional planes of darkened buildings. I could paint jillions of these. The ominous green eye of a traffic light dancing in its speckled halo of windshield waterdrops, beckoning to the driver - "keep going, all clear ahead - it's not too late - you're not too tired..."
* The Other Night Light Series - my sweetie was telling me about some night lights they have in her childhood home. I may need to locate and paint these: darkened canvases depicting pitch-darkened rooms with the tiny light from one lit corner, that little light picks out highlights all across the canvas. A plugged-in plastic character, features feebly glaring with electric glow. Smooth outlets, encircled by a corona of dim stippled yellow paint (or is it only yellow from the light?) where the bedroom wall can be seen, 'til the halo fades out past where the reach of the light fails. The rest of the room: shapes brood in silence.
* The Heavily-Censored Hardcore Pornography Series - pretty much just what it says. I'd make strong use of bold, graphically well-placed black bars. The composition would be exquisite. There would be no denying This Is Art. There would also be no denying This Is A Crass Stunt To Claim Highbrow Status By The Easy Expedient Of Offending Lowbrow Sensibilities.
* The "Black Bar" Series - a series of smaller canvases, in the same shapes as the previous series's strategically-placed black bars, after the controversy fades on the previous series, showing what got left out. It's all cropped so tight you can barely tell what it is! Just a bunch of bold rectangles of mostly pale pinks and tans. The lewd poetry of intersecting lines.
I've got some other ones. Some other good ideas. Those above ones have been kicking around for years, mostly, and as I've said, there's plenty of other people working similar visual themes to death already. But so what? Look at all the people painting flowers!
That's what I say.
In fact, for this blank canvas? I think I'll start off with some flowers. Eeeeease back into it.
Comments
I like your poems - why the proviso?
In fact. I don't gush much and maybe I should more, but
HEY!!
Anybody who hasn't already should check out the clever site of The Clever Pup! Incredible, nay, credible articles - not posts even, articles - on arts, gardening, literary and artistic and historic figures - giving canvas to the epic sweep of lives of people you've never even heard of, but whose lives sure stick in your mind afterwards. Plus interesting takes on the big well-known heavy hitters as well.
Your love of culture is positively endearing and contagious and I guess, reassuring? I think there's more people out there than we tend to realize, who either love that stuff or are receptive to the bug. Thank you so much for providing a great place, a focal locus for the interests of the interested to meet, congeal, flash out and catch on!
The content warning on my poems, I think it's just there's a few in there a little racier than my sister might want her kids reading. But nothing I'd truly call offensive! But some kind of grown up stuff, though, definitely.