Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Open Dream Journal #21: The Charge Of Boughy

In the time between one hit of the snooze button and the next, your dream-mind is prepared to accept just about anything as prefectly normal and plausible.

I was just in a dream reading an article in (I guess) Sports Illustrated, a small piece on Steve Young, a retrospective, looking back, where the writer dredges up a piece of Steve's ancient past and gets some enlightening feedback from Mr. Young. Apparently, during the early part of Steve's NFL career, he was briefly given the nickname "Boughy" by the sportswriting community. I have no idea how this nickname was supposed to be pronounced, since I was only reading it. Steve's version of events was that the name came about after the first game he played against the Washington Redskins, and that he guessed they gave him that name "to access my joy of charging."

At the time, to me, in the dream, it seemed quite reasonable that there either already was such a word as "Boughy," or that if someone coined such a word, it would adequately convey (or access) "joy of charging."

Generally when you wake up from a dream like that, the most disturbing thing is how plausible it all seemed to you. Our vast government conspirators (and those guys are vast, don't kid yourself) really need to drop whatever else they're doing and isolate the chemical secreted during sleep that so utterly suppresses the "What the fuck!?" reflex. If they can do that, and get it into the food supply somehow, we'll accept anything.

But upon reflection, what's most disturbing to me is that I have now dreamed about Steve Young, but to my recollection I have never yet dreamed of Troy Aikman.

I feel so disloyal.

4 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Hi, Dogimo! Thanks for your comment at Poetikat's Invisible Keepsakes.
My only football interest lies in a passing fancy with English Premier League (my husband's a fanatic). More importantly, I notice from your profile that you are a fan of "Withnail & I". It's my favourite comic film of all time.

Kat

dogimo said...

I couldn't not comment. That portrait was way too disturbing! :-D But the accompanying poem helped dispel the heebie-jeebies.

Withnail & I is hilarious! Even though the first time I saw it - I swore it was a tragedy. Great film. Can't think of any way they could have made it better.

JMH said...

The Cowboys? Where are you from?

dogimo said...

South Jersey - which is for the most part, Eagle country.