Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, November 20, 2009

The Emergence, Ascendancy, and Continuing Relevance of the Term "Asshat"

Seems everyone is onto "asshat" now. I've been throwing that one into my speech - sparingly - for years, and I'm not going to stop using it now -

"Asshat!"

- because I'll tell you something. I'm not one of those weird avant-conformists who wants to do everything everyone else is doing, only do it a little ahead of them, and then stop doing it once they catch up. No, I am not one of those. Those people are quite frankly, asshats.

But in addition to my non-eschewal of the now very well-established pungent and descriptive phrases I've long touted and would never abandon while their descriptive power holds - and don't let anyone ever tell you that one word's as good as another! One of the two is always going to fit the situation just a little bit more bang-on, for what you want to say. So as I was saying, while I like to keep every word - no matter how ostensibly "passé" - in my repertoire, for when it suddenly becomes 'the perfect word', I do also like to get out ahead of the curve a bit. I like to participate in the forward fringe - I just don't insist on leaving behind the trail I blaze. So to speak. So on behalf of that, here's these that I've been making good use of:

"Watch it, assglove!"
"Could you please move your chair a bit to the side, assrug?"
"You're a real assbag, buddy. A real assbag."
"That guy's an assbox."
"Why is it that every girl I fall in love with turns out to be an asscase?"
"The difference between an asschair and an asscouch is, the asscouch thinks he's only an asschair."
"Who invited that assharp?"

You can glean the proper usage from context pretty easily on these, as you can see. I don't claim to have invented any of the above terms or usages, myself. The evolution of a living language is far more collaborative than personality-driven, despite what certain asshoops would have you believe.

No comments: