Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Featured Website #5: The Irish Pub in Atlantic City, NJ

Welcome to the Irish Pub. This is practically the WORST-looking website I have EVER SEEN.

- - > NICE, RIGHT?< - -

Somebody would have had to have put a ton of work into this, just to make it so bad. Oh my lord. What a blessed quintessence of crap.

There is amusement in every nook! Navigate around. Poke into the corners. Don't forget to go upstairs! (I'm surprised there's no click to the restroom. Surprised and possibly, relieved). The reviews page is festooned with such ringing endorsements as this The New York Times rave: "...where an Irish balladeer sings Irish songs nightly."

I'm not kidding. That's the entire blurb they saw fit to include.

Atlantic City magazine notes "..with prices like these, who can afford to eat at home?"

The Philadelphia Inquirer claims "...has the best and most reasonable Irish coffee I have ever tasted." More to the point, Philadelphia magazine observes: "...the pub sells more beer than any bar in town..."

Oh yeah...they let rooms over the bar! Now how's that for class. At the place itself, you can let your head loll back and look up at the paneled ceiling which is plastered with various old time Irish memorabilia, including photos of old time Irish silent film stars from the 20's and earlier. There was this one actress, I swear I was falling in love with her. Then my neck started to hurt and I had to avert my gaze, forced to look earthward for companionship. Now I can't even remember what her name was. Though it haunted me for years.

As her eyes do still.

Seriously, I love that place. Plus, if a fight ever breaks out, practically everyone in there is already a cop! Especially after shift changes.

For sheer entertainment value and comedic impact, I'd say this website is on a par with the vaunted homestarrunner.com. But not for depth. Homestar has way more going on - no offense, Mr. Leprechaun!

3 comments:

Sean Scully said...

Holy Crap, that is bad. That is maybe definitively bad. It is, as H.L. Mencken said of Warren Harding's speeches, so bad a kind of grandeur creeps into it.

I walked by that place today in Philly. I was not tempted to go in, and that was BEFORE I saw this site.

dogimo said...

I love the one in A.C.!

I cannot vouch for the Philly one.

dogimo said...

I can now vouch for the Philly one.

It was not comparable to the deep and rich dark-stained wood old-time atmosphere of the A.C. Irish Pub, which is truly a world-class example of the breed all kidding of their website aside.

But the Philly one was a very nice touristy approximation of it. Good service, tasty grub, reasonable prices (I only say that because the reviews all seem to zero in on that aspect!), and the beers they poured me were all excellent.