Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

You Can Say What You Want, But It Doesn't Make It True

Some things are true without ever having to be said.

Those would be the true things. Those are the things that would be true, without ever having to be said.

In fact, no proposition has ever gained or lost in truth value merely by being made into a statement. I would even go so far as to say: statements of equivalent truth value remain equivalent, regardless of the relative volume at which they are broadcast. Or to put it another way: truth spoken louder is no truer for it, but a whispered lie will always find a willing ear.

Wait, no wait a second - sorry! That whole last part derailed into subjective realms best left to the fabulists and theoreticians.

I guess if I'm going to get all poetic and shit, I could say "Truth spoken loudly is no truer for having...for having been...for hurting your ears? Truth spoken loudly is no truer for the listener's tinnitus? Truth, the louder you say it, no wait - Truth spoken softly may still hurt, but at least you don't get tinnitus!"

And it became a proverb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what I'd like? I'd like to spend just ten seconds inside your head to see what fantastical wonders reside there. Just ten seconds then I think I'd be too terrified and have to get out.

dogimo said...

I don't advise it.

Not because it's scary! It's actually kind of humdrum, but really very homey and comfy and plush in here, and I've got these two big ol' hi-def* eyes for my 3-d in-home entertainment. It's like everything's cushioned and sumptuously upholstered. The webbing of connective tissue that suspends my brain in its cranium cradle is like a gentle, translucent hammock of red webbing. The fluid is always just the perfect temperature (almost always! with the occasional delirious fever, just for a change of pace). I kind of love it!

It's just that for the flexibility you're after, to leave after ten seconds? I don't think it'd work. I've never been able to get out - not even once. So even though it's really nice...if you're planning to get out, I don't advise getting in.

*"hi-def," as long as the optional external lense array is in place.